Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting and decorative stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-decorative-stitches-t37448.html)

dgreen 02-20-2010 08:58 AM

How many of you use the decorative stitches available on so many machines in your quilting? I've pretty much decided to go with a Juki straight stitch machine, as I want to be able to piece, stitch in the ditch, and free motion quilt. So, from those of you who actually use those stitches, what, how, and when do you use them in your quilts? Also, can you do those decorative stitches with a walking foot? I just want to know what I might be missing if I go with a straight stitch machine. Thanks.

redrummy 02-20-2010 09:25 AM

I have just started experimenting with machine embroidery, so I am testing out the fancy stiches. I like the one that looks like a vine with leaves on it, and have tried a few others.

k3n 02-20-2010 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I quilted zig zag either side of the ditch with my walking foot on a lappy and on a runner - figured since I struggle to stay in the ditch this would be a good option! Looked pretty good but of course took longer and more thread. Will try to find a pic...

table runner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14185[/ATTACH]

k3n 02-20-2010 09:40 AM

sorry - doesn't show up very well! and my Mum's got it now so can't take another pic...

belmer 02-20-2010 09:58 AM

I use my decorative stitches alot on my quilts especially around the borders to give that extra character to your quilts.
They also look terrific on Crazy quilts. and Yes you do use a walking foot.( at least I do.)

Honey 02-20-2010 10:54 AM

I started taking a class to learn to use the decorative stitches on my embroidery machine. We are making a quilt with applique on each block and different stitches on each one. I love it. I also use them for decorating towels for different holidays.

amma 02-20-2010 11:40 AM

I use the decorative stitches on my regular sewing machine for the quilting a lot on baby quilts :D:D:D
The Serpentine stitch along the seams works well, as you do not have to stay in the ditch, and it does not show if you are a little off when quilting in grids either.
Any of the decorative stitches will work, as long as they are a more open design, and you can elongate them. I usually widen them a little too...as wide as I can and still use my walking foot :D:D:D Elongating and widening them, seems to help them stitch more smoothly as there are more layers than in regular sewing :wink:

pieces 02-20-2010 11:43 AM

Decorative stitches are seldom used in piecing a quilt. Even when machine quilting a straight stitch is used. I never could understand why they put so many decorative stitches on a quilters machine. Makng a crazy quilt is about the only time I think they would be used.

carrieg 02-20-2010 11:50 AM

In the doll quilt I'm making, I used a decorative stitch in the sashing. I use some of them, but I don't do FMQ yet either. Some of the quilts for Project Linus get a decorative when I sew the binding on.

JanetM 02-20-2010 12:08 PM

I have used decorative stitching on small projects using a walking foot.
Husvarna Viking recently came out with a new and improved dual feed walking foot that will allow the user to use the decorative stitches that go backwards and forward. Opens many new opportunities for embellishing quilts.