Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting design stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-design-stitches-t91035.html)

user15356 01-16-2011 10:08 AM

I am just a quilt topper and almost never ever finish a quilt. I think it may be because I don't know what stitching designs to use other than SID. How does one decide how to quilt a quilt? Echo, meander, lines, or what ever. I have over three dozen different 12 inch blocks and would like to do something with them. ( I would really like to just give them away to some organization to make quilts for wounded warriors or something.)
My husband says I never quilt because I am "narrow minded" in what I like to sew. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment.
:hunf:
Too bad I couldn't find someone who doesn't like to "top" and just get to the quilting. :roll:
I did finish and quilt my avitar...............

Shelley 01-16-2011 10:11 AM

It's called 'quilting by check'. 8-)

Iamquilter 01-16-2011 10:12 AM

If you need someone to quilt your quilt, I do custom quilting

Vanuatu Jill 01-16-2011 02:32 PM

I also would prefer making tops and giving to someone else to quilt-excep I hand-quilt and love that-it just takes too long and I would always want one to work on-but I would like to "TRADE"-I'll piece their tops-they can quilt mine! I wish I could afford to pay for someone to long arm my quilt tops!

Iamquilter 01-16-2011 02:57 PM

That is a beautiful quilt

user15356 01-16-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I also would prefer making tops and giving to someone else to quilt-excep I hand-quilt and love that-it just takes too long and I would always want one to work on-but I would like to "TRADE"-I'll piece their tops-they can quilt mine! I wish I could afford to pay for someone to long arm my quilt tops!

I wish it didn't cost so much to have it long-armed. Social security just doesn't take quilting into consideration. [bSpoil sports/b]! :lol:

user15356 01-16-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I love that Pattern. Is it a Jinny Beyer? Just have fun piecing if that is what you like. One day you will find someone who will trade out piecings for longarming. Most folks will want your businees.

yes, it is called "Moonglow". I have the pattern if you would like to have it. Just PM me..............

amma 01-17-2011 09:51 AM

Maybe try printing out copies of a picture of your quilt top in black and white on just copy paper.
Take a colored ultra fine point permanent marker, and draw quilting lines/designs onto these copies. Play around with them until you get a look that you like :D:D:D

k3n 01-17-2011 10:21 AM

There's a great book called Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Maracchini that teaches you how to 'read' a quilt. When I got it, it was a light bulb going on in my brain. Now I find while I'm piecing a top, I'm planning the quilting and can hardly wait to get to it! :D

user15356 01-18-2011 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
I am just a quilt topper and almost never ever finish a quilt. I think it may be because I don't know what stitching designs to use other than SID. How does one decide how to quilt a quilt? Echo, meander, lines, or what ever. I have over three dozen different 12 inch blocks and would like to do something with them. ( I would really like to just give them away to some organization to make quilts for wounded warriors or something.)
My husband says I never quilt because I am "narrow minded" in what I like to sew. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment:hunf:
Too bad I couldn't find someone who doesn't like to "top" and just get to the quilting. :roll:...............
I did finish and quilt my avitar

====================================

I still don't understand how to determine what quilt stitch design to use. Here is my quilt block. How would YOU quilt it?

Florida Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]163311[/ATTACH]