Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting designs for popular quilt patterns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-designs-popular-quilt-patterns-t202448.html)

katier825 10-06-2012 06:44 AM

Quilting designs for popular quilt patterns?

I've been browsing for days to find the "perfect" quilting design for my Summer in the Park quilt top. I came across a few sites that had patterns for double wedding ring, log cabin, Irish chain, twister. But nothing for my Summer in the Park. It got me thinking that it would be great to see quilting patterns for some of the popular quilts (other than stippling or edge to edge patterns). Quilts that come to mind that I'd love to see more quilting suggestions for:

Summer in the Park
D9P
Double Slice Layer Cake
French Braid

It would also be nice to see a pattern with a few quilting options, such as straight line quilting, easy FMQ, more advanced FMQ patterns. Maybe I am voice my wish list, someone will come up with it. :)

If you have any quilting suggestions for the popular quilts listed, please share your ideas!

0tis 10-06-2012 08:42 AM

I just took a class on Craftsy.com with Angela Walters called Quilting Negative Space - it was wonderful - she gives you a bunch of ideas for quilting that are simple to do yet give such an elegant look - mainly it added different textures to the quilt but did not take away from the quilt itself. Check out a class - it really is helping me to become more confident with my quilting.

katier825 10-06-2012 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 5566073)
I just took a class on Craftsy.com with Angela Walters called Quilting Negative Space - it was wonderful - she gives you a bunch of ideas for quilting that are simple to do yet give such an elegant look - mainly it added different textures to the quilt but did not take away from the quilt itself. Check out a class - it really is helping me to become more confident with my quilting.

That one is on my wish list. I'm in the middle of the paper piecing one. I do have technical issues with the site sometimes though. They've been working with me to try and resolve them. I've been busy though and haven't tried their latest suggestion.

nativetexan 10-06-2012 10:53 AM

you might also search in yahoo for Images on those quilt names.

katier825 10-06-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5566324)
you might also search in yahoo for Images on those quilt names.

I do that too. I see plenty of pics of stippled/meandered or gorgeous feathers. I want something in between. I like the look of stippled, but don't really care to do them. I am not up to the skill level for feathers, but I do try! I have the hooked on feathers book, and do practice now and then. It's hard on a domestic machine though with a larger quilt. I can't get smooth curves (yet).

AlienQuilter 10-06-2012 02:44 PM

I understand totally! I need a good one for Log Cabin. I'm about to give up and just do an overall two inch grid using most of the seams as a guide. Would like something a little prettier but don't know what and feathers are still beyond my skill.

katier825 10-06-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 5566752)
I understand totally! I need a good one for Log Cabin. I'm about to give up and just do an overall two inch grid using most of the seams as a guide. Would like something a little prettier but don't know what and feathers are still beyond my skill.

For the log cabin, you might want to research quilt stencils in triangle patterns, then use the same pattern on both the light and dark halves of the block. There are some that are not too complicated. You could either use a stencil or get some golden threads paper and use that for a pattern.

Holice 10-06-2012 05:05 PM

Have you searched the web for companies that sell stencils. Their catalogs are one line. You might find something you like there.

katier825 10-06-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5567023)
Have you searched the web for companies that sell stencils. Their catalogs are one line. You might find something you like there.

Oh yes, I've viewed stencils by the thousands! LOL

AlienQuilter 10-08-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5566980)
For the log cabin, you might want to research quilt stencils in triangle patterns, then use the same pattern on both the light and dark halves of the block. There are some that are not too complicated. You could either use a stencil or get some golden threads paper and use that for a pattern.

Now that's a neat idea! Thanks!