Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-embroidery-machine-t32133.html)

Kaye 12-22-2009 12:25 PM

I own a Babylock Ellegante embroidery machine. How would I use it to quilt a design in the center of each square? I need ALL of the details such as hooping, etc. Thanks so much to whoever can help with this!

Kaye

quiltnut4ever 12-22-2009 01:17 PM

Congrants on your new machine! I've always wanted an Ellageo. You should have a manual that shows you how to use the embroidery part to get the center. If not, find the middle of the square and mark it with a dot. Once hooped, set the design and press check for the machine to show where the "square" of the design will be.

kluedesigns 12-22-2009 01:35 PM

yup, its that easy.

the only other thing i would add is to do a test run of the chosen design and the thread you want to embroider with before you start on the actual quilt.

amma 12-22-2009 02:42 PM

Also you may want to carefully hold/support the quilt while it is stitching out. It may be too heavy and it could distort the design as it is being stitched out. It is good if you can lay it out in front, to the left and back. The rolled up part to right, I would keep an eye on and support that too.
I can't wait to see your quilt :D:D:D

FinelyFabricated 12-22-2009 02:47 PM

I have a babylock Ellageo. I would do the test run as suggested and cut the block after I did the embroidery. Say you want a 10" square block, I'd cut it 12 - 14 " then embroider then trim so that I was sure I had the design in the exact center of the block. Somehow I just never get the designs centered quite right. They are usually close be not exact.

quiltnut4ever 12-22-2009 02:48 PM

I agree with both of you guys here! Be sure that you support the quilt well since you also don't want it to get in the way of the embroidery arm mechanism. You may want to try a smaller quilt first before moving on to the bigger one just for a test! :D

Kaye 12-23-2009 12:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I hate to sound dense but exactly how do I use the machine embroidery design on a completed quilt top that has already been sandwiched. For instance, I have a dresden plate outline design in my software that I want to stitch onto each of the blocks. Do I hoop each block, stitch the design, unhoop and move to the next block? Keep in mind that the quilt sandwich has already been made.

thanks!
Kaye

Maride 12-23-2009 12:43 PM

That is exactly how you would do it. Be very careful to lay it perfectly flat, ir it will bunch. I learned here to put my machine on the floor to stitch so the quilt don't pull.

Maria

Kitty Yates 12-24-2009 02:53 AM

I have quilted several quilts on the EM. If you know how to quilt as you go, its makes it easier. However if the quilt is sewn and sandwiched, there will be a lot of hooping but just take a deep breathe and go for it. It will seem slow but much faster than hand quilting and some of the design are out of this world. I push my machine into the middle of a table and that way it doesn't pull and be sure to roll tight so it will fit under throat of machine. Don't be in a hurry and things will go better.

sewnsewer2 12-24-2009 04:08 AM

Kaye, since your quilt is already sandwiched, you do not need to use stabilizer. Just make sure your sandwich is secure in the hoop and place the hoop on your machine.

Center your design where you want it and stitch it out.