Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting and Fingernails. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-fingernails-t21388.html)

quiltnut4ever 06-15-2009 08:20 AM

Mine are short since they crack easily and even with artificial ones I keep them short.

kluedesigns 06-15-2009 08:32 AM

i have natural nails and they're about your length. i don't have a problem with hand quilting but i do have a problem beading with them.

Ninnie 06-15-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Originally Posted by Ninnie
Mine are about the same as yours and all I do is hand quilting. When I quilt a lot, days in a row, I will eventually get a callas on my pointer and middle fingers of my left hand, I switch between them to feel the needle on the bottom side. Does anyone else do that?

Oh yeah, I have a callus on my first left finger from hand quilting. You'd think I'd learn after a while not to stick it with the needle, huh?? :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: I switch fingers when one gets so sore I can't stand it. I keep an Emory board handy or a low grade of sand paper to file the calluses down when I can't feel anymore. :oops: :oops:

Rhonda 06-15-2009 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Mine are about the same as yours and all I do is hand quilting. When I quilt a lot, days in a row, I will eventually get a callas on my pointer and middle fingers of my left hand, I switch between them to feel the needle on the bottom side. Does anyone else do that?

Oh yeah, I have a callus on my first left finger from hand quilting. You'd think I'd learn after a while not to stick it with the needle, huh?? :oops: :oops:

My callas is on the second finger on my left hand on the side. I used to do all my sewing by hand years ago and I still have that callas. I am diabetic and I use that site on my finger to stick myself because it doesn't hurt much there. I never liked using a thimble so I used the side of that finger and it toughened up. I sometimes use the table when I get a stubborn needle that doesn't want to go through all the layers I want it to go through!!! But wear a thimble?!! Never! I have to feel what I am doing and a thimble gets in the way. I don't quilt by hand anymore tho.

k3n 06-15-2009 09:15 AM

i do this Ninnie - or I did til Hans made me buy some sticky finger pads - he got upset with me going 'ouch' every now and then. I cheated at first and stuck one on the middle finger but used my index finger to feel the needle (just to keep him happy!) BUT then I did an ouch and he worked out what I was up to! So I persevered with the pads and now I love them! And my stitches are just as good (or bad!) as without them;

Re finger nails, I keep mine short but that's because I garden as well and often without gloves, so I have to be able to get the dirt out of my nails easily before I can sew! :D

k3n 06-15-2009 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thimbles - I never found one I could get on with and then on a trip to England a while ago, a guy in a fabric store got me to try the Roxanne's thimble - silver plated, 30 pounds sterling (nearly 50 dollars)! I said ooh no, too expensive what if I don't like it? But Hans MADE me buy it (he's so enabling! :D ) And now I don't know how I managed without it all this time! I've even been to the loo and forgotten I was wearing it until, well, you can guess when - it involves paper! :lol:

mytwopals 06-15-2009 09:29 AM

Being a guy, I never had any problem with my nails being too long. I tend to keep them very short. Never even grew my pinky nail long. :lol:

pocoellie 06-15-2009 10:09 AM

My nails are short. I can't do anything with long nails, not that yours are overly long, they're a nice length if you're not out riding and training horses, digging fence posts, etc.

Jim's Gem 06-15-2009 10:10 AM

My nails are fairly short. I would love to grow them longer. However 6 mos of strong antibiotics last year destroyed my nails. Now they flake and crack and break like crazy. I am hoping that they will recover!

QuiltyLisa 06-15-2009 10:16 AM

Jim's Gem- Try a product I use called T.I.P.S

http://askcosmetics.com/nailcare.htm...FRpN5QodgVZXpA

I have been using it for years. My nails would always crack,. peel and split. Since I have been using it my nails are great.

Lisa