Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-flannel-t113580.html)

Kryssa 04-04-2011 04:21 PM

I'd like to do a quilt all in flannel from the Connecting Threads line Sunny Day.

Is there anything different I need to do when using flannel rather than cotton? I don't normally prewash, do I need to for flannel? Can I still use Hobbs fusible batting?

Thanks!!!

amma 04-04-2011 04:26 PM

Flannel can shrink a lot, I would always prewash it :D:D:D

BKrenning 04-04-2011 04:36 PM

It shrinks a lot and not necessarily the same amount top to bottom as it does across. It will also be much easier to cut & sew if you starch it. It gets very floppy and slippery if you don't starch it--even the good heavy flannel. Be aware that it will leave lots of fuzz behind so you will need to clean the bobbin and needle takeup area often.

cherylynne 04-04-2011 06:06 PM

I make lots of flannel quilts and I don't prewash. My flannel is from LQS and when I wash it it gets puckery just like other fabrics. It is not washed frequently. I have never used the fusable batting, just Warm and Natural. The fabric that you are using is really pretty and should make a lovely quilt for spring.

Lori S 04-04-2011 06:39 PM

I'm not a prewasher - but when it comes to flannels , I ALWAYS prewash and dry , using the dryer until it is completely dry. The shrinkage can be substantial.

Quiltgirl26 04-04-2011 06:40 PM

Good question I wondered the same.

SewMomma66 04-04-2011 07:38 PM

Be sure to clean your bobbin area. Flannel is very messy. I don't think I prewashed my first rag quilt and it was fine in and out of the w/d. Have fun!

lclang 04-04-2011 07:41 PM

DO prewash. Sometimes different flannels shrink at different rates and really need the prewash so that you don't end up with some smooth blocks and some puckery ones.

Sadiemae 04-04-2011 11:44 PM

I don't prewash for a rag quilt, but I prewash flannel for a regular quilt. I also only do flannel quilts that are simple type patterns, but that is just me. I did a baby Trip Around the World and loved it.

quiltmaker 04-05-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I make lots of flannel quilts and I don't prewash. My flannel is from LQS and when I wash it it gets puckery just like other fabrics. It is not washed frequently. I have never used the fusable batting, just Warm and Natural. The fabric that you are using is really pretty and should make a lovely quilt for spring.

Cherylynne, I have a bunch of Moda flannel homespuns that I bought at least 15+ years ago and they are all fat quarters. Normally I wash all flannel yardage but am scared to death of washing these fats for fear of unraveling. By what you're saying I should be fine without washing them. When I ever make/finish this quilt do I just wash as I do all my other quilts? Will they all shrink the same...I use Quilters Dream batting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone's opinions would be greatly appreciated!