Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Flannel - What batting to use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-flannel-what-batting-use-t212831.html)

Michelekolt 02-03-2013 05:07 AM

Quilting with Flannel - What batting to use

My mom would like me to make a flannel quilt for her, my question is: Do you use batting with your flannel quilts and if you do what type. To me it seems to be to heavy. I was thinking to using flannel as the batting or maybe nothing at all.

Joset 02-03-2013 05:28 AM

when i made my fannel one i used it on the front and back and no batting.

Tartan 02-03-2013 05:41 AM

I can't see where you live by your profile but how cold does it get there? It sounds like she is wanting a quilt that is very warm. If that is the case I would put in a lightweight batt.

DogHouseMom 02-03-2013 06:17 AM

I LOVE using flannel as a "batting". The quilt is sooooo supple ... you won't get that suppleness in any batting. Top, batting and backing of flannel is plenty warm.

I'm quilting a quilt now which is a flannel top. I'm not using a batting on this one because I'm backing it in Minkee and that's plenty heavy already.

Stitchnripper 02-03-2013 06:18 AM

I have made several flannel quilts. I used either warm and natural as batting or another piece of flannel.

DebbE 02-03-2013 06:32 AM

I'd use a flannel for the batting....I have done that a number of times in the past, when I wanted just a small 'batting' and it was a quilt that would get lots of use. Its easy to quilt, and it makes a very nice finished quilt once washed - it has that nice wrinkly look we all love. I have also used warm & natural (my favorite), which is also nice, but it makes for a heavier quilt.

Suze9395 02-03-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5834469)
I have made several flannel quilts. I used either warm and natural as batting or another piece of flannel.

Ditto. Me too.

Michelekolt 02-03-2013 07:15 AM

Thank you everyone, I strated to use warm and natural but the quilt is way to heavy. My mom has RA and I think it would to too hard for her to move around. I think I'll try some flannel to lighten the load.

Sally J 02-03-2013 08:23 AM

I just made a flannel quilt and used the lightest weight polyester batting I could find. I wanted it very warm so I didn't have to run the heater so much. Worked great, no added weight and very warm. So if your Mom wants a warm quilt use that type of batting. I googled warm and natural with flannel and decided would be way too heavy.

dunster 02-03-2013 08:41 AM

For my rag quilts I use 3 layers of flannel, no batting. I also used flannel as a batting in a comfort quilt and was quite happy with the result. I originally planned to use that piece of flannel on the back, but when I washed it the flannel pilled. I figured it would be fine inside the quilt, but not on the back.