Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting a fleece backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-fleece-backing-t180641.html)

natalieg 02-25-2012 10:13 AM

Quilting a fleece backing

I have just finished a quilt top that I am wanting to quilt with a fleece backing on my mid-arm machine. I have read some of the other posts on here about fleece backings and was wondering if there are any other tips that anyone can offer.

Also, do you just bind them with cotton? I am wanting to use some of the cotton that matches the front. I normally machine sew the binding to the front and wrap it to the back and hand sew the back of the binding. I am not sure how the hand sewing part will work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Krisb 02-25-2012 01:27 PM

The hand sewing worked fine on the quilt that I did, and I used cotton binding, but I'm thinking now that you mention, that back to front binding and hand sewing to the front (to sew into the cotton) might work. Others have spoken of stretching, but I think that the quality of the fleece might have something to do with that. Had no problems just spray basting; the quilting was pretty simple. Did it on my regular domestic sewing machine.

SouthPStitches 02-25-2012 01:31 PM

Am just finishing up a smallish (24 x 24") quilt that I backed with polar fleece. Handquilted it however, so don't know how successful you might be with the stretch factor. It looks nice and I do plan to bind with a typical cotton binding. I didn't use and bat and it won't experience a lot of hard use. Let me know how you do, or better yet, send a pic of the finished quilt. Nothing ventured, nothing gained?

Peckish 02-25-2012 01:32 PM

I stitched a top to a fleece blanket with my walking foot and it went fine. I did not use any batting, just the cotton top and fleece blanket. The Quilt Police snickered and turned up their noses, but my son loves it, and that's all I care about.

MissEllieB 02-25-2012 04:21 PM

I've made two flannel baby quilts with fleece backing (for twins babies yet to be born!) I did use batting and fleece. I stitched them on my machine with stitch-in-the-ditch method. I had no problems stitching with the walking foot. I used flannel for the binding and they came out great. Soooo nice and cuddly!!! Can't wait to give them!!! Sure yours will come out fine.

AliKat 02-25-2012 08:20 PM

Since you are using a midarm and not a domestic sewing machine I'd suggest doing some basting as the fleece could be stretched too much when you have it on your midarm.

ali

Gleniveve 02-25-2012 09:27 PM

When you say fleece do you mean "Fleece as in a lamb with the skin
still attached? If not could you please tell me what it is also what it is
made out of and how it is constructed or woven or whatever?
I am an Aussie so not sure what fleece is. If we have fleece here it is
either still attached or the animal is shorn and the wool is cut off and
then "prepared" for knitting, crochet etc. I am not really dumb but I
just don't understand how it is being used. Thank you. Gleniveve

masimmons 02-25-2012 09:42 PM

I too have used fleece and other cuddly material such as minky. My experience is that it works well with extra basting to avoid stretching and extra attention to cleaning of the machine

MOBRIDGE MOM 02-26-2012 03:15 PM

Gleniveve, since it seems that no one answered your question. I will try to explain - fleece in the States is a polyester fabric that is thicker than cotton and can be stretchy. It is really soft and can be cuddly. If I was computer savy I would be able to post a site but I think if you would go to www.joann.com and type in fleece it should give you lots of examples.

Originally Posted by Gleniveve (Post 5009022)
When you say fleece do you mean "Fleece as in a lamb with the skin
still attached? If not could you please tell me what it is also what it is
made out of and how it is constructed or woven or whatever?
I am an Aussie so not sure what fleece is. If we have fleece here it is
either still attached or the animal is shorn and the wool is cut off and
then "prepared" for knitting, crochet etc. I am not really dumb but I
just don't understand how it is being used. Thank you. Gleniveve