Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting frames (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-frames-t349.html)

ceannastahr 01-01-2007 02:56 PM

I've been thinking about getting one of those quilting frames (Grace) I was wondering if any one has one and how they work. My arthrisis is getting worse and getting to hard to hand quilt. But I love doing it so this is an option I'm looking into.
Ant info will help thanks

Leslee 01-01-2007 04:37 PM

Hi! I got one of the Grace frames last year and find it very useful. It took me hours to assemble, I guess that was the only negative. But it's a 3-rail frame (no basting!) and it extends from about 54" to double that length. My problem is that the room doesn't extend that far! It folds when not in use, I hear...but mine always is! :D Depending on the size of quilt you make, the Grace frame with the large pivoting square hoop might be worth looking into also. All the Grace products are well-made and very sturdy.

ceannastahr 01-01-2007 04:42 PM

I was looking at the sturdy light. It a 3 rail symtem but doesen't fold up will do up tp a queen size quilt. Once you get it together is it hard to get everything to line up?

I hate to have my back get bunched up. Is it hard to learn to move it around to quilt?

Leslee 01-01-2007 04:55 PM

Oh, it's not hard to line everything up at all! Each rail has a tension adjustment. And there have been a few quilts that weren't very large that I'd already basted...I attached those to the bottom and middle rails only. It gives you almost 12" of quilting to do before rolling up the work at all. You have to be comfortable with quilting in all directions, tho. Frames don't move! That's why I mentioned the pivoting hoop model, just in case your back or hands & shoulders gave you problems.

ceannastahr 01-01-2007 05:02 PM

The one I looked at seem like you just walk back and forth while you guide it. It comes with a laser so you can follow the pattern that lays on a board underneath the sliding platform.
I'm just worried I won't get the botton as tight as the top and find out to late that it bunched.

Leslee 01-01-2007 05:06 PM

Looks like you're considering the machine quilting model! Lasers, eh? No, I've got no experience with the space age wonders on this end, I'm afraid! But there are several quilters in the forum who do and they really love it. I'm sure they'll offer input!

ceannastahr 01-01-2007 05:15 PM

I might need the laser my eye sight isn't what it use to be either. Anything to make it easier to do what I love. My kids say I need to get into the new age. It isnit that expensive when you think about it and I can have it in 5 days. I'm realy thinking about it

Leslee 01-01-2007 05:19 PM

You'll probably love it. See what the other frame quilters who use their machines think. I'll be envious that you'll be quilting like the wind once you get the hang of it!

ceannastahr 01-01-2007 05:24 PM

I realy haven't been able to find any that has one around where I live, and this is the only message board I belong to. Like I said I'm just getting into this new age stuff. I'm just started the lesson in EQ5 that my daughter got me for christmas. That seems fun when I get the hang of it.

SaraSewing 07-25-2007 08:34 PM

I have a Grace Frame, A34. I LOVE it! Can't believe I put it off this long to buy one. Putting it together took some patience, but well worth the tedious effort for the great product it is. I love that I can fold it up, rather than take up the whole floor. It used to be that I felt compelled to get the quilting done, and how it's fun and more relaxing, can do it just when I feel like it.

One of the best features is that I can tilt the project to avoid neck strain. After having neck surgeries, etc., this is a HUGE benefit. You can buy them new from ebay. The grace frame company is good to work with also; I needed another plastic tubing thingie that I goofed up, and they sent it with no charge. Sara