Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting for fundraisers... question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-fundraisers-question-t99790.html)

Rebecca VLQ 02-14-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
In this case, fabric, thread, and batting should be donated by the members of the church-and if any memeber has family/friends who have a quilt shop (or fabric shop), maybe they can get some of it donated as well. Even in these tough times, most people will be willing to donate a small bit, and those small bits add up quickly! Like I said before, give them a choice of pitching in a few dollars (the cost of a cup of coffee!!) or having the fun of buying a bit of fabric. Good luck!

This.

PaperPrincess 02-14-2011 02:23 PM

I think that a donation is when YOU decide, what, when and how much to give. When you get a request for a donation, I certainly don't think you should feel required to give anything at all. You should look at your time and finances and if you can provide any assistance, it should be on your terms. I also think that most people have no clue how much time and expense goes into a quilt. I would tell the person who volunteered you for this fundraising activity that if they can get the materials donated, you'll donate your time (and anything else that you think you can afford), or maybe agree to one quilt, certainly not multiples. You sound like a very generous person, but I wouldn't feel required to give.

Furza Flyin 02-14-2011 02:31 PM

Wouldnt it be wonderful if a group of quilters got together and made a quilt? Everyone in the group could bring their own fabric and choose the same block. A group effort for a like cause. And yes, when I make a quilt for a raffle I ask for donations of fabric.

Ramona Byrd 02-14-2011 03:19 PM

If you are too shy to ask for help==and remember, you are not the ONLY member of this church, so all should share just a little bit. Get someone to help you gather bits and pieces, and look for the "Madam Chairman" type of female. She will get things done. I'm not saying SHE will do it, but she will get it DONE!!!

Scrap Happy 02-14-2011 03:28 PM

Yes, aske people to contribute materials or funds for materials. This makes them involved too :)

Shelbie 02-14-2011 04:08 PM

When I was asked to make a quilt for a minister who was moving to a new charge I agreed but requested a "twoonie" ($2 Canadian coin) to help with fabric and batting cost from each member. No one seemed to mind and it really helped when one of our oldest gentlemen stood up and said his sister quilted and materials were expensive and a large quilt would take at least 12 metres of fabric. I certainly appreciated Harold's imput that day.

SweetSlumber 02-16-2011 12:32 PM

When asked to make a quilt for a fundraiser, I consider it my 'donation'. I have, in the past, involved others, accepted contributions and ideas for design and fabric choices. It has been my experience that many hands do not always make lighter work. The more people involved means a wider variety of opinions, people who contribute more money sometimes think they have more influence, feathers are ruffled when their design idea wasn't chosen, (people who don't quilt have a great knack for choosing the most difficult, intricate patterns) etc.... it just became more stressful for me, since I was trying to appease everyone's ideas. Now, when asked, which is pretty frequently, I nod, smile, and say, "Sure, no problem!" The fundraising people are happy with the contribution and I can just do my own thing! Just my own experience, others mileage may vary.