Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting gets a shout-out in Southern Living Mag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-gets-shout-out-southern-living-mag-t175528.html)

joyce888 01-13-2012 05:08 PM

Quilting gets a shout-out in Southern Living Mag

Southern Living magazine January issue, page 10. Quilting gets a 1/2 page titled "The New Quilting Craze". Isn't it nice to know How far ahead of the times we've been LOL!

Jan in VA 01-13-2012 05:14 PM

You're kidding? New craze? Is it about some new style, or a new show location, or a new shop or guild or anything unexpected?? How odd!!

Jan in VA

luvstoquilt 01-13-2012 07:11 PM

Strange is right! My mother taught me to quilt and I well remember my grandmother's quilts. Yes, I am lucky enough to own one of hers and even one her mother made. I do believe there are more quilters now though at least in Illinois. There were not so many that I knew about when I lived in NJ..

Jackie Spencer 01-14-2012 04:05 AM

That sounds likes something you would have read in 1976.

katier825 01-14-2012 04:50 AM

New craze? Funny. We need a census of quilters. That would be interesting to know how many of us there are, what age groups, etc.

damaquilts 01-14-2012 05:15 AM

I am glad they put up "New Craze" Gets more people interested. And you know how some people are, HAVE to have the latest "new" thing.

Caroline S 01-14-2012 07:07 AM

New Craze? Well it probably because the editors are a whole lot younger than a lot of us. And few of them had moms or grandmoms that quilted.

mardilee 01-14-2012 07:12 AM

You know what they say..."Everything old is new again." Quilting seems to be going through a new popularity phase. :-) I'm glad, aren't you?

grammy17 01-14-2012 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 4873351)
New Craze? Well it probably because the editors are a whole lot younger than a lot of us. And few of them had moms or grandmoms that quilted.

Caroline: I think you are right on with this answer. Neither my mother, her two sisters nor my grandmother quilted but one great grandmother did. My other great grandmother carded the wool, spun the yarn and wove fabric--and delivered babies.

JaneH 01-14-2012 03:30 PM

I think it's a "new craze" because now quilting is considered an art form by museums and art galleries. In the past, quilting was looked upon as something our grandmothers did and it was strictly a domestic thing. In the past decade, there have been plenty of documentaries, videos (i.e. DVDs) for both information and instruction, and lots more media coverage, including magazines devoted to quilting, but also magazines that celebrate sewing and quilting arts and competitions. Advances in technology have also spurred the interest of the non-quilters, as well as intense interest from other countries, such as Japan and France. There are also a lot of quilting organizations, both here and abroad, that simply did not exist 20 years ago.

Yes, people have quilted for well over a hundred years, but the turn it's taken in the past 20 years is something different altogether.