Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Groups - Are you in a quilting group? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-groups-you-quilting-group-t194031.html)

the old one 07-09-2012 04:49 AM

We have a small group that meets in our homes, September through May, with a day-out in June. No officers, no constitution, no food (although the hostess does serve coffee and juice). On alternate years we present a quilt show during the local fair, at Christmas we decorate a tree for the town parade of trees, in October we visit the local care center to show our projects. Yearly, we have special projects which every one makes--last year was a mystery quilt, bring and brag is a big part of our meetings. Because of the unstructured organization, this group is very successful in keeping members.

Jackie Spencer 07-09-2012 05:05 AM

I belong to 2 different groups. One group is a bunch of ladies I used to work with before I retired. We meet the first sat. of every month, at the Library, from 9 to 3. We are all making the same quilt pattern, but each has their own colorway. Everyone brings food and we have a pitch in. Sometimes we take road trips together, to quilt shops. We have been meeting for 3 years. The second group I meet with in another town at a small quilt shop. We make a quilt every year, and raffle it off at the county fair, and then give the money to local charity's. There are no officers or anything like that. We have Show and Tell and share idea's and sometimes have demo's.

Rose Marie 07-09-2012 06:22 AM

Before I moved my little group of 6 met once a month. We would bring a goodie to eat.
We would each make about 5 or 6 blocks from red,white and blue then would make a wounded soldier quilt to donate.
We did round robbins and a fun group project where you made a center square then passed it around for others to do rows till it was a nice size quilt. We could not see our quilt top until it was finished.
We exchanged info on techniques etc.
It was a great group and lots of fun.
I just joined a group at my new town and am dissapointed. It is a typical group thing with minutes and volunters and shows and bake sales and donations etc. I dont like it at all. Nice people but do not like organized groups with agendas.

SouthPStitches 07-09-2012 06:31 AM

I'm a lone wolf. Used to belong to a guild about 10 years ago, but quit. Have thought about rejoining but I'm not quite "there" yet. I loved the show and tell and general fellowship, but hated the quilt police, the micromanaging of every detail, and a small clique trying to run. Perhaps it's changed. In the mean time, I'm letting QB be my guild and enjoying the peacefulness and my own productivity.

Delta 07-09-2012 06:33 AM

I belong a quilting bee here in Waco, we meet once a month at the church, someone usually brings something to snack on. I usually take a hand applique project, and sometimes take my traveling sewing machine and work on something. others will do the same. some times we have just sat there and talked and laughed, man bash and what ever else we can do lol. I have learned so much from the ladies at my bee. I love going.

ShowMama 07-09-2012 06:40 AM

I belong to a bee called the Knotty Quilters. We had 8 members but are down to 6 right now. We meet once a month, in the evening from about 6:30 to 8:30, usually at the home of the lady who started up the group. For whoever has a birthday that month, we have some type of refreshment provided by the person who had the previous birthday and that way everyone has a turn.

In the past we have done block exchanges and row robins among the members, but lately we've been making QAYG lap quilts for charity out of a huge stash of donated fabric. We usually set up like an assembly line, with some sewing, some pressing, and some trimming or squaring blocks. As it happens, we're meeting tonight and this month we're going to make pillowcases for charity, just to do something different from the lap quilts. We also share patterns, techniques, videos, and ideas. We all also belong to the same quilt guild, so have that in common as well.

soccertxi 07-09-2012 07:37 AM

Gee...I had to count...I belong the the Guild and 2 diff chapters: a regular one and the long arm chapter. Quilters Anonymous (reg one) meets once a month and the long armers meet every other month. Typical guild meeting: minutes, projects, secret pals, show and tell, etc. Then I belong to a group a friend and I started called Lunch Bunch. We meet in a shop classroom the 1st Friday of the month for potluck, shopping, sewing and TALKING! Boy...are we LOUD! lol We just started with the two of us..and ...well...I invite people! LOL We lost some ladies because I would not quit inviting. They wanted JUST the group we had and were irritated that I would not toe the line. I thought the group would fall apart...but HERE we are! I am also hosting a Summer Sewing group at my house every Thursday. We have a lady and her 3 kids (they have progressed from string blocks to pillowcases: ages 6-12), a school librarian who wanted help making a t-shirt quilt for her DD, and another teacher friend who just wanted to get sewing again...and me and my friend who started Lunch bunch. I'm worn out! (but its a GOOD worn out!)

Skittl1321 07-09-2012 07:46 AM

I am in a small group from my guild. There are 6 of us and we meet monthly. So far each month a member has demoed a particular topic (the first was texture, and then we did binding, next month will be shadow trapunto).

I think we are still trying to find our "voice" as to what the purpose of the group is. We usually only have 1 machine going, that we take turns on.

lakekids 07-09-2012 08:00 AM

I used to belong to a Quilt guild and to a smaller group that met at a church. Both groups met monthly in the evenings. Unfortunately BOTH groups disbanded and now I am quilt group homeless - sigh! There is another quilt guild that in the area but the one time I attended their meeting I didn't feel welcome. There are several smaller groups but most of them meet during the day and I work full time so that is not an option. Would love to find another group.

anniehug 07-09-2012 08:02 AM

I belong to 2 groupsd, both meeting for 2 hours once per month. One is very small, 7 members and we meet in each others homes. We generally just chat (and swap ideas) and take along something to hand quilt. No talks or fees. The other group is larger about 26 members (not all turn up to every meeting. We pay a small annual fee: this is for the rent of the hall we use. One lady organises the 10 meetings (no meeting in July and August). She asks us all for ideas for the following year and if any of us have been on workshops we take turns in running "lessons" and pass the info. we have learned on to the group. Some years we do different projects but this year we are each doing a child's charity quilt, same design but different colours. I love both groups I belong to as all the ladies are lovely and we all help if we have any newcomers who have never quilted before. (I suppose I really belong to 3 groups, I forgot to count this one and truthfully I learn more off here than the other 2. Keep up the good work) Anne