Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting guilds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-guilds-t81493.html)

Eddie 12-12-2010 05:20 PM

I belong to two guilds, one at the state level and another at the next county over from me. Both guilds are great, and I'm the retreat chairman at the state guild, as well as the sponsor & public relations chairman. I've really enjoyed both guilds, they are full of really fun people who make everyone feel welcome and wanted.

The guild in my county won't let me join because I'm a man, though. Boo to them! :evil: They regularly have about 70 members at each meeting, but have an "old guard" that will not allow change.

Laurel 12-12-2010 07:36 PM

I belong to a guild with over 200 members, but usually only 140 come in the winter and less in the summer. I love it, but I will say that you only get out of it what you put in to it. If you enjoy being part of what goes on, as well as the quilt show every year then join. But if you go and just sit and don't try to join in then it isn't for you. We meet every week with our main meeting the first of the month then show and tell twice a month, there are challenges, contests, outside teachers and teachers from within the group. Give it a try.

mayday 12-13-2010 05:49 AM

Very gratefully I belong to a group where we meet weekly in a lovely talented lady's home, being VERY green have learned lots [as well as from this board] and enjoy talking to others and seeing what they are doing.
Difficulties are discussed and overcome and ideas exchanged. I would not like to be without it .

JustBonnie2 12-14-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by patski
Thank you all. I think I expected too much for the guild I joined. Only meetings, no sewing together or friendship. So I think I'll stop going and enjoy sewing with my girl friends!! Much more fun and I can save the $$ for fabric :)

Oh don't give up! You can meet the most WONDERFUL people at a guild meeting - - QUILT people!! My favorite kind!

You need to get involved in something, volunteer for something and you will meet some of the ladies and from there you can find out about any smaller groups that just meet and quilt.

When I retired and moved here 4 years ago, I volunteered to do the newsletter because I have some good computer graphic skills. From that, I got to know just about everybody (our guild has 79 ladies) and now they LOVE the newsletter so much, they won't let me quit! LOL! But I love doing it as much as they love reading it, so I don't mind. (Besides, then I don't have to be Secretary or Treasurer! I already HAVE a guild job. Tehee)

You will only get as much OUT of it as you put IN. Put yourself out there girl!! Make some quilty friends!

Treegal 12-14-2010 05:56 PM

I am lucky to belong to a small guild- about 15-20 ladies all together. Rarely do we all make it to a meeting but we sure have fun ! Our dues are just token ( 50 cents per year and a couple bucks a month to cover the use of the building where we meet). We are from all different backgrounds, ladies who quilt for a living, or who have been quilting a long time, ladies who are new to the art and want to learn. We welcome all, and meet 2x per month. Once to just sew and visit and once for a guild meeting. This guild is simple and just beginning, and the day we start to charge a big fee, I will have to bow out. For us it seems to be all about the people and learning and sharing.

Rainy Day 12-18-2010 03:06 AM

Eddie Wrote
The guild in my county won't let me join because I'm a man, though. Boo to them! :evil: They regularly have about 70 members at each meeting, but have an "old guard" that will not allow change.[/quote]

Set up your own guild in your county, I bet there would be defectors! :lol:

plainpat 12-18-2010 03:25 AM

Lucky you !
"This guild is simple and just beginning, and the day we start to charge a big fee, I will have to bow out. For us it seems to be all about the people and learning and sharing."

ddrobins1956 12-18-2010 04:31 AM

I've written about my quilt guild before but don't mind praising them again. I belong to the Pelican Bay Piecemakers in New Smyrna Becach, FL. I love my guild and all of the ladies that belong there. This is my second year as a member, so I'm fairly new as some of these ladies have known each other for decades. Let me tell you, the first day that I walked in the door, I felt like a part of the group and have ever since. I joined right then and there. We meet every Tuesday morning and since we are a small group we get to know each other well. The things that I've learned from these ladies is incredible. It's such fun seeing what everyone is working on and to learn new techniques. I just love my group. We have education day once a month and a day of community service where we make quilts to be donated to foster children and we make port pillows for the Cancer Society. Visit the guild first to see if its a match for you and if you can find one to your liking, JOIN. You will not be sorry.

bea cda 12-18-2010 11:23 AM

HI, glad you like your quilting guild, I am the secretary of my QG and really enjoy the time I spend there. Would you tell me what a Port Pillow is?

glenda5253 12-18-2010 10:17 PM

ddrobins1056, your QG sounds wonderful. Wish I could find something like that in my area. :roll: