Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Ideas for a scrap quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-ideas-scrap-quilt-t208010.html)

feline fanatic 12-09-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charming (Post 5708687)
Can u pls post a pic of that. I am still learning how to use my rulers with the long arm and that is something I want to try on some scrappy quilt. Thanks

All over cross hatching is easier to do on a domestic machine than a LA. I do ruler work for SID and some background fill cross hatching but it is a chore to do it all over on a quilt and unless you mark in advance it is really easy for your lines to stray of the straight and narrow, even with a ruler.

Lori S 12-09-2012 04:28 PM

I like using the serpentine stitch for scrap quilts and do large scale cross hatching.

Mkotch 12-11-2012 04:47 AM

If you want to do it a little fancier than just stitch in the dtich or cross-hatch, try:
1. using the walking foot, quilt 1/4" from each seam line (both sides)
2. if your machine have a serpentine stitch (a wavy line) stitch in the ditch with it

DebbieG 12-11-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 5708680)
I think it all depends on my how time you want to devote to it and how experienced you are and what you want to do. I stitched by the ditch on several of these which are 4" scrappy squares. I really liked how they turned out.[ATTACH=CONFIG]381142[/ATTACH]

This isn't what I call stitch in the ditch, looks like what I call echo quilting 1/4" from the stitch line...I like that look!

Mariah 12-11-2012 07:13 AM

Ideas for quilting scrap quilt

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady (Post 5708813)
justflyingin...I like the "stitch by the ditch" idea. Your quilt looks great.

Would someone please clue me in on quilting the duck, ect, mentioned in the ideas for this quilt? I am interested for the next baby quilt, which I am sure I will be making!
Mariah.

P. S. When I don't have much time, I tie my quilts and comforters, and they seem to make a hit.
Mariah.

brendaln 12-11-2012 08:21 AM

I recently did two scrap quilts by machine knotting them and then meandering on the borders. Fast and looks good.

MargeD 12-11-2012 11:31 AM

I have made dozens of baby quilts that size, and larger and I use either a straight stitch or a slightly elongated zig-zag stitch sewing across the squares diagonally. I haven't mastered FMQ, but on even simple 9-patch blocks I quilt across the squares and I like to use a pretty rayon thread, sometimes variegated, simple quilting, but the rayon thread gives it a little jazz.

Jannie 12-11-2012 05:33 PM

To do a large meandering or stippling stitch is very quick. The next quickest thing in my opinion would be cross hatching.

DJinSC 12-11-2012 07:28 PM

I love the look of cross hatching and do it whenever I can. It is easy. You can mark with a ruler and chalk, or use masking tape.