Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-ideas-t302034.html)

Watson 01-05-2019 12:58 PM

Quilting Ideas?

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Merry Mayhem New Years' Day Mystery quilt and I have no idea how to quilt it.

I quite like how it turned out...and the fact that I used all fabric from my stash to make it, including 75% off border fabric! (Too bad I didn't have enough to mitre the corners.)

I'm thinking some sort of centre-type quilting up the middle of the black area...and then a motif in the blocks, but that's as far as I've gotten...any ideas? I will be quilting with invisible poly thread.

Thanks!

Watson

[ATTACH=CONFIG]606231[/ATTACH]

Krisb 01-05-2019 01:08 PM

Wavy lines in the black and some flower motif in the border? Or a vine in the black?

Tartan 01-05-2019 01:09 PM

I think I would want something impressive in the black center rows, maybe feathers? Feather wreaths in the individual coloured blocks and feathers down the sides/top/bottom, using the green line between the pattern and the black for the feathers spine? Maybe the same feather wreaths in the coloured blocks in the black corner blocks? Pretty top!

QuiltnNan 01-05-2019 02:15 PM

look up Angela Walters videos... she's doing a challenge on point to point quilting and i think that will work on this quilt. your quilt is pretty

zozee 01-05-2019 02:34 PM

I'm thinking those sunshine (sundial type) faces in the blocks and a Greek or Celtic motif in the black.

quiltingshorttimer 01-05-2019 05:32 PM

I'd go with the feathers in the black, curving all the way up the quilt. And treat each colored block separately--maybe something from Angela Walters Shape to Shape books. And why not modify the pattern of the border print for the quilting on it?

jmoore 01-06-2019 03:38 AM

Pretty quilt Watson...I printed off the instructions for MaryMayhem’s mystery but I was under the impression it was a QAYG?

I agree that your black area would be an inviting space for feathers.

liking quilting 01-06-2019 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8187372)
I'm thinking those sunshine (sundial type) faces in the blocks and a Greek or Celtic motif in the black.

Yes, or perhaps a greek key motif!

bjchad 01-06-2019 05:02 AM

I’d be tempted to do feathers in the black. But I love feathers. You could do them from bottom to top or start with a figure eight in the center of each area and work out in each direction. Alternately, I’d think about a Celtic knot border pattern in each black area. The stencil company will have some that you can look at for inspiration or purchase from them.
Pick a couple of flowery looking motifs for the squares. Or suns.
I think I’d follow some of the swirls in the black/gray part of the border and a wavy line down the center of the wavy line of flowers in the rest of the border.

Watson 01-06-2019 05:26 AM

jmoore...it was QAYG, but I didn't. So now it needs quilting.

I figure it's no different than having done the top then ditch stitched it before I quilted it. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see!

Watson