Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting: Inside to Outside, Or Outside to Inside? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-inside-outside-outside-inside-t290867.html)

Irishrose2 09-01-2017 01:54 PM

I use the board method with pins and I quilt any place I please. I don't use a lot of pins, but nothing shifts as long as the back isn't fleece. Fleece seems to pull up somehow. I had to trim an inch off two Christmas quilts because the fleece was smaller than the top after it was quilted. Why? No puckers or full spots, so who knows.

QuiltingHaven 09-01-2017 03:42 PM

Yes, I start in the center and work my way out. Doesn't matter if I am hand sewing or using the machine, I start in the middle and work my way out.

jmoore 09-01-2017 05:15 PM

Like Sewnoma and Quiltnan, I start from the center and work my way out...I would be curious to know what tutorials Tropit is watching that shows outside/in.

Daylesewblessed 09-01-2017 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7898377)
I start in the center, go down to bottom. Start in the center again, go to the top. Again start in center go to right edge. Again start in center, go out to left side. Then I quilt each quarter, always quilting next to quilting.
After a couple hundred quilts it always works for me.

That is basically the method that I use.

Boston1954 09-01-2017 08:40 PM

I've always been told to start at the center to avoid bunching.

Kwiltr 09-01-2017 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 7898231)
I'm on a marathon of watching various classes right now and one of the teachers suggested that you should quilt from the outside in. "Interesting," I thought, since I always go from the center out. She works on a grid, using SITD on the boarders first, then the rows of blocks, always working toward the center. She does spray baste and set it with the iron, so the sandwich is very secure. I haven't finished the video, but so far, it appears that she doesn't have any issues with is puddling up in teh center. The reasons she does this is 1) you don't have a lot of bulk in the harp of the machine until you get to the center. 2) You assured that your borders are nice and straight, with no wavy edges.

I haven't tried this method yet. I may try it on something small, like a pillow cover, or crib quilt and see how it works out.

~ Cindy

I took this class too and have completed several large, including King sized, with this method without a ripple or a pucker in any. It has worked very well for me.

copycat 09-02-2017 03:16 AM

I spray baste the quilt sandwich first and then pin the four corners and a few along all four sides to insure the edges are taunt and won't come loose during the quilting process.

I begin with stitching a plus sign down the center of the quilt if there are rows that allow me to stitch in the ditch. Now the quilt is divided into 4 sections. I will continue to sitd from the inside out using the plus sign is my guide until my rows of blocks are done. If there are borders, I sitd those last. I can quilt all over designs or individual blocks and not worry about shifting. I read this method on a blog years ago.

tropit 09-02-2017 05:07 AM

Hi jmore,

I'm watching, "Small Machine, Big Quilts, Better Results," with Ann Petersen. I'm not finished watching it yet, but I think that I've gotten through the chapter explaining why she starts from the outside. Her idea is that she doesn't want to try to squeeze all that bulk of the quilt into the harp of the machine, like you would if you started in the center. She stablizes the whole thing first with stitch in the ditch, so each section is going to stay put, so no worries. This also leaves a straighter, outside edge because if started in the center, there might be some fabric pushed out to the sides and borders would be misshapen with all that quilting and shoving things around.

I'm also taking another class with Marti Michell that explains techniques on how to divide the quilt up and quilt as you go, so you don't have to deal with all that bulk. With her method, you can also start your quilting anywhere you want.

~ C

toverly 09-02-2017 05:20 AM

I'm intrigued by the idea of setting the spray baste with the iron. Did she demonstrate any particular kind of spray? I may have to give this a try.

Annie68 09-02-2017 06:18 AM

From center out, you can smooth as you go to the outside.