Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting and jury duty (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-jury-duty-t46293.html)

redquilter 05-18-2010 09:38 AM

Here, a mother doesn't have to serve if she has children under 16 yrs of age. Are you SURE you will have to serve? That doesn't seem quite right. Check into it.

sahm4605 05-18-2010 09:44 AM

I have been called once for duty when I was in college several years ago. It sucked. Spent all day there and was almost hit but was let go. My professors were very happy about that. They had already given me a months worth of work before I went to jury duty just in case. I don't mind Jury duty, it is just coming at a really really bad time, and if I am pregnant like I think I might be, they are going to have to let me out of it. Unless they want me carrying around a trash can to throw up in every hour on the hour. Sometimes even more, just depends on the smells around me. I hope that they let me have my handwork if I cam called. I have such a bad attention span that I wouldn't be a good juror for them.

catjo 05-18-2010 09:54 AM

You won't be able to do anything but focus on the hearing in the jury room. Besides you need to give the attention to what is going on to be fair to others, would you want a jury trial for yourself and someone not listening to everything? Not me, I want them to see that Im innocent.

quilt addict 05-18-2010 10:06 AM

I had jury duty last year. Brought handwork to do while in the waiting room. Could not bring my scissors in and ended up loosing them. I take work on the plane all the time. Just have a short bladed scissor. Best to call and ask though.

LucyInTheSky 05-18-2010 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Calif Jane
I've carried knitting on several domestic and international flights. So, I'd bet there is not a problem with needlework.

I've seen women do this, but it shocks me. I can't have a nail clipper or TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE but they can have long metal needles??? If I wanted to kill someone, I would use a knitting needle not a nail clipper :(

butterflywing 05-18-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky

I've carried knitting on several domestic and international flights. So, I'd bet there is not a problem with needlework.

I've seen women do this, but it shocks me. I can't have a nail clipper or TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE but they can have long metal needles??? If I wanted to kill someone, I would use a knitting needle not a nail clipper :(

in nj, they tell you to bring a book to jury duty while you wait in the bullpen. but when they actually call you, you have to leave it on the table or in a locker. they want your full attention in the jury room.

as for how stupid they are: the judge asked everyone if they had a medical condition that might prevent them from serving properly. i said i would like to serve, but i sometimes had siezures and blacked out. the judge then asked me what happened when i blacked out. he got all pissy when i said i didn't know, i just woke up on the floor after i blacked out. duh! i swear, i said it with a straight face.

my bil had to give up a teeny tiny screwdriver that he wore on a chain around his neck. it was in a little capsule that screwed closed and was made of silver.
if that thing was more than an inch long i'll eat my hat. he kept it for his glasses, which were always loosening. really now, less than an inch!

butterflywing 05-18-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky

in nj, they tell you to bring a book to jury duty while you wait in the bullpen. but when they actually call you, you have to leave it on the table or in a locker. they want your full attention in the jury room.

as for how stupid they are: the judge asked everyone if they had a medical condition that might prevent them from serving properly. i said i would like to serve, but i sometimes had siezures and blacked out. the judge then asked me what happened when i blacked out. he got all pissy when i said i didn't know, i just woke up on the floor after i blacked out. duh! i swear, i said it with a straight face.

Kitsie 05-18-2010 01:00 PM

MANY years ago in my 20's I tried taking a small knitting piece to a pub in Canada and was told I couldn't do it there! I was told I was only there to drink!

imjustme 05-18-2010 01:04 PM

I would call them if I were you. Here you don't have to go if you have children under a certain age.

OraLee 05-18-2010 01:06 PM

I was selected for jury duty last year and a lady did bring her baby because of breast feeding and they told her she could be excused till much much later.