Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Kudos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-kudos-t40873.html)

LoisN 03-29-2010 04:48 PM

I showed my FIL one of the baby puff quilts that I had made from flannel and he said, "Oh, that's nice" and then he touched it and said,"OHHHH, THAT'S NICE. I don't suppose you could make a full-size one like that." I made him a larger version out of golf flannel. We called it his "post-golf quilt" instead of a baby quilt. He kept it on the sofa in his living room and I think napped with it most days. He's been gone a year now, but I have the quilt back. Sometimes I just go hold it for a while and it seems like he's still very close (which I believe). He was a very special man.

brushandthimble 03-29-2010 04:48 PM

Gerber, one of your stories reminds me of one of my co-workers. Three of us went to Curves 3 days a week and worked together. Anne was diagnosed with breast cancer (she is now fine), I made her a scrappy log cabin, with lots of pink(for breast cancer) and flowered fabrics, she loves to garden. Gail supplied the $$ for the backing, a very nice pink heavy flannel. Gail said no to flannel, but I knew Anne like me was always cold. We took Anne to lunch and at the table gave her a gift bag with the quilt. She cried as I thought she would.

thismomquilts 03-29-2010 05:26 PM

The nicest compliment I have received - every time I go to my mil's house and see the table runner STILL on her table!! :) After 21 years of marriaged I FINALLY did something right ;)

Quilting Nonnie 03-29-2010 05:50 PM

In the first year I quilted, one of the teachers in my group was retiring. She was a quilter also. I got fabric together and each member of our teacher group picked two fabrics and on off-white fabric wrote something to the teacher. I put each set together as a square-in-a-square. When I gave it to her at her retirement party, she cried! It made me feel so great.

Just this last January I gave my granddaughter a quilt. I had made curtains for her bedroom in her new house during the summer. I used that fabric and other matching fabrics and made her a bed quilt for her birthday. She called me the night of her birthday and screamed "I LOVE my quilt!" She's eight. It was the best reception a quilt of mine has ever gotten!

1quilt_gma 03-29-2010 07:04 PM

I gave my SIL a simple flannel quilt, 5x7 6" or 8" blocks, I can't remember...

Anyway, about a week later my BIL had to go into the hospital for a couple of days. They took the quilt with them and used it all the time. They said there were several comments. The hospital was cold in the areas of x-ray, etc. where he had to be.

They take it everywhere with them now...

(Pictures on Picassa below)

brushandthimble 03-29-2010 07:09 PM

The first quilt I made my son after basic training has been to Iraq, Afganistan, and to the hospital when his first daughter was born.
His wife is now sleeping on another quilt I made her, while her husband (my son) is in Iraq again.

wvdek 03-29-2010 07:19 PM

That happened just yesterday and it was my DH. We were eating lunch at an IHOP and he was reading the paper. He saw they were going to have a quilt show in the state capitol here, and stated, "You should enter one of your quilts." To which I replied, "That was sweet, but my quilts aren't good enough. " To which he said, "I beg to differ. Your quilts are beautiful." To which I said, " Besides I keep giving them all away. I don't have one." He said, "Make one." DUH!
The show is the second week in April. I thought that was very sweet of him.

Gerbie 03-29-2010 07:22 PM

Brushandthinble,
You have actually made a Quilt Around the World, then since your sons quilt has been around the world. I love it. Please tell your son and his family, especially you mom, that we thank him and his family so much for serving to protect our country. I know it must be harder on the families not knowing daily how things are going. I pray daily for all of our service personnel whever they might be and will continue to do so. They can not receive enough THANKS for all they do!!! God's blessings and love to all of you!!

Gerbie 03-29-2010 07:25 PM

WVDEK,
So you are going to make one aren't you? You will have to rush and burn the candle at both ends at this date!! What a compliment. Gerbie

JackieG 03-29-2010 07:55 PM

I have two sisters. One sister received a belated birthday quilt as a present. On her birthday, I sent her a text message with a picture of it saying it wasn't quite finished, but I wanted her to see what I had made for her. She never responded. Of course, I was quite hurt. I never thought my other sister would be interested in my quilts, but she oohed and aahed at the quilt I made for our younger sister. In any case, she made my day when I asked her what her favorite colors were and she knew she was next in line for a birthday quilt and she said she would cherish it forever.