Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Labels on Quilts you Gift..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-labels-quilts-you-gift-t104249.html)

grannypat7925 03-03-2011 08:40 AM

I have labeled some and some I have not. Something to think about.

debbieumphress 03-03-2011 08:54 AM

All these great ideas. Thanks. All kinds of labels to amke and sew. I like simple. I have already started making some to sew on when I visit family. I started a little sewing bag to take with me. ♥♥

nanac 03-03-2011 08:57 AM

I have been making quilts gor nearly 30 years, and never labeled any of them. To be honest, I never even gave it a thought until I started reading this board. Then I got to thinking about how nice it would be for one of my grandkids ( or anyone else who has received one of my quilts) to look back and say "this was made in... by my Nana" Who knows, maybe their grandkinds would end up with the quilt, but they wouldn't have any idea about its' history, the pattern name, or who made it. Now, all of my quilts have at least a basic label. For posterity, you know. :)

linhawk 03-03-2011 09:40 AM

I find a small clear area. Very small. ;-)
Write my name and date. If I do it at all.
Guess I don't really care about posterity.
I do enclose a note to the recipient.

catrancher 03-03-2011 10:06 AM

I donated my grandmother's quilts to a museum because i'm the only person left alive who knew her or knew anything about them. None were labled. It gave me a chance to document their origin and significance for generations to come.

sandyquilts 03-03-2011 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely. I sew my label to the backing 'before' quilting. That way if it gets lost the label can't be removed without a lot of work. I make my own labels.

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Is it important to label our gift quilts?

hheelleenn 03-03-2011 10:59 AM

I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

For every quilt I make I take a picture during construction, and another when finished. I also create a folder on my computer and create a name. Then I document what fabric make up, and what was happening in my life (only a line or two). Date it was done and to whom given.

misseva 03-03-2011 11:00 AM

I sign all of mine. I have a quilt from my maternal grandmother that I'd give anything to know when she made it. All I know is it was made before 1954 which is when she died. I have one quilt from my husband's side of the family and I have no idea who made it. BooHoo. It makes me so sad to not know. Just my name, date & town is all I sign.

Rita B 03-03-2011 11:07 AM

I have used Pigma pen to write my labels but find they fade with washing. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what to use that doesn't fade?
Rita B

hheelleenn 03-03-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by hheelleenn

I have never put labels on any of my quilts I gave to family or friends. I think I will make them up and sew them on as I visit them.... Never thought about it's meaning until reading on the board. Does everyone do this?
My sis has n embroider machine she has sitting and not using. Well, I have a good use for it. She is going to teach me how to use it. It has a whole wall of thread and everything needed. Something new to learn.

For every quilt I make I take a picture during construction, and another when finished. I also create a folder on my computer and create a name. Then I document what fabric make up, and what was happening in my life (only a line or two). Date it was done and to whom given. As well as adding a handwritten (permanent ink) label with the date and made byfor.