Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting on a longarm??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-longarm-t243066.html)

newbee3 03-12-2014 01:45 PM

quilting on a longarm???

I have a nustyle longarm it does not have any bells or whistles just plain jane. I have been quilting on it for about one year now and would like to try pantos and work from the back. It has a pointer thing to follow the patterns just hoping someone could give me some pointers on what to look out for I am really kinda scared of trying it, I know that is stupid. so maybe just some encouragement

ckcowl 03-12-2014 01:53 PM

load up a practice quilt - maybe 2 pieces of muslin with a batting- then thread *top & bobbin* with a good contrasting thread~ so you can see it well top & bottom~ lay your pattern out on the table- then, using the stylus locate the highest point of the pattern on your quilt- then the lowest point- making sure both points are 'reachable' within your stitching area- adjust the pattern until you have both points lined up. when all is lined up and you are ready- put on some music with a good *feel*, take a deep breath & start sewing. :) don't worry about staying exactly on the lines- just follow them as close as you can- smoothly- no one will know if you veer off- once you unload- they will not see the pattern only the finished product. relax- and work on being smooth & consistent. when you reach the end & roll the quilt- again check your placement so you don't overlap the previous row- or leave too big of a gap between rows. once you do a few practice quilts you will be able to do most any pattern (if you decide you like the process.) :)

newbee3 03-12-2014 02:05 PM

thank you for your information I will give it a try do you use pantos?? if so do you like them? The only thing I have done is fmq so far.

JustAbitCrazy 03-12-2014 02:13 PM

If you find you like doing pantos from the back, I would see if you can switch out the pointer for a laser light. I think you'd like following the pattern with a light much better. And many times the laser light can be improved on, if the red dot is large, by taping a piece of blue painter's tape over the lighted end, and puncturing it in the center with a fine pin. Then the red light will be smaller, improving your accuracy. If you can't switch out to a laser light, and your pointer is thick, you can switch that out for a smaller diameter pointer for better accuracy. I have known quilters to use a length of metal clothes hanger for that. Try not to stress, have fun, and enjoy! A couple of tips: it helps to keep your motions smooth if you look ahead to the next point, and concentrate on making your motion (from here to there) the half moon, S curve, straight line, etc. that's ahead of you. When you hit a point, don't linger too long or you'll have a build up of stitches at the point. But don't cut the point short---make sure you hit it or you'll have a stitch across the point, squaring it off. I like to think of a ping pong ball hitting a wall and bouncing off , and hit my points like that. Hope this helps. My apologies if you already know all this, as you do have experience with your machine.

QuiltnNan 03-12-2014 03:20 PM

newbee, thanks for asking this question. and thanks to ck and justabit for the comprehensive answers. i've not tried pantos yet, and you've given me some confidence to try.

GEMRM 03-12-2014 04:09 PM

If you want to try the laser light vs pointer, for $5 Harbour Freight has a small light that can attach by sticky back, or screws to your machine/trolley - if the light tip is too big, do as previously suggested to tape over it and put a pinpoint hole in it. For $5 you can try without a huge investment. Might be cheaper to buy another light vs cost of replacing the batteries when it wears out. I was still using my first one when I sold the set up, including machine.(The light is meant to be a guide for a circular saw when following a line on a piece of wood)
The light is much easier to position vs the pointer

newbee3 03-12-2014 07:01 PM

thanks to all of you I will check out the light for that price I could not go wrong.

Jennie and Me 03-12-2014 07:27 PM

I use a laser and it does require practice when you first start doing it. Even now I do practice runs (machine not on..just going over the pattern ) before I start the actual quilting as I don't use them that often. The dry runs help you loosen up a little which will make your curves smoother. Once you use them you'll love them. I can move the laser to the front of the machine and use block patterns which is nice. Did that a lot when I quilted for others. Even drew up some patterns of my own to fit/go with the quilt that I was working on at the time.

TexasSunshine 03-12-2014 07:43 PM

The advice from previous posts is excellent, set up practice pieces and go for it.