Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilting magazine should I choose? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazine-should-i-choose-t187682.html)

Little RoO 04-30-2012 08:29 AM

Which quilting magazine should I choose?

I am based in the UK and no disrespect to publishers over here but the patchwork and quilting magazines here in the UK are really awful, really thin, very few projects and lots of adverts and wasted space and each one costing around $8.
Very kindly as part of swops I have been sent a couple of amazing American magazine and would really like to subscribe to one....my question is
Which one is the best ? I want one with lots of projects....so please help and tell me what you think.
I would also be interest to know if anyone subscribes to Quilters World...the online magazine....is it worth the money?
Many thanks for all your help.

Scissor Queen 04-30-2012 09:05 AM

Quilter's World and The Quilter always have lots of projects. An online subscription might be just the thing since you wouldn't have to pay extra postage.

ArtsyOne 04-30-2012 09:08 AM

I'm partial to Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting. All bright colors, a good mix of easy to advanced, modern and traditional. I'd definitely do the online subscription. You can print out the specific patterns that interest you so you'd have them in hard copy too.

dunster 04-30-2012 10:53 AM

My favorite magazine is Quilters Newsletter Magazine. It doesn't have a lot of patterns, if that's what you're looking for. I also really like the American Quilter, which comes with a subscription to AQS.

Rose L 04-30-2012 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5182726)
I'm partial to Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting. All bright colors, a good mix of easy to advanced, modern and traditional. I'd definitely do the online subscription. You can print out the specific patterns that interest you so you'd have them in hard copy too.

This is one of my favorites too. If you get the online subscription I believe it entitles you to use the past two years archive copies as well. Now that's a lot of patterns!!!

Jackie Spencer 04-30-2012 05:34 PM

I used to get them all, but after I retired I had to cut back. I kept American Patchwork and Quilting and Fons and Porter

Dolphyngyrl 04-30-2012 07:23 PM

I like quilters newsletter now, mccall's, have the better homesand garden but did not care for it

burchquilts 04-30-2012 09:45 PM

I think alot depends on what "kind" of quilts you make. I find Quilter's Newsletter (which I used to take) is a little
"arty" for me. I personally like Quick Quilts & Fons & Porter. Just my opinion...

Peckish 04-30-2012 10:45 PM

I think it is a very personal decision, and therefore difficult for anyone else to make that choice for you. I agree that Quilter's Newsletter has less patterns and tends to be more artsy than I anticipate ever being, but I do like a lot of the articles and the quality of the magazine. On the other hand, magazines like Fons & Porter and McCall's Quilts rarely challenge or inspire me anymore. The magazines I appreciate the most currently are Quilt Mania (and there are different editions: French, Japanese, and English. The Japanese editions have the most gorgeous quilts, but everything is written in Japanese). I also love some of the Aussie mags, like Australian Patchwork & Quilting, but it is VERY expensive.

Panchita 05-01-2012 03:23 AM

This is going to sound like a marketing plug, but never mind - have you checked the quilting/crafts section of a decent-sized WH Smith in your area? Mine (Chester) has quite a few imported patchwork/quilting magazines - mainly American, including Fons & Porter, McCalls (which I like), etc. It may well work out to be cheaper to get a direct subscription from the States in the long run, but at least you would be able to get a flavour of some magazines rather than relying on other people's opinions, since it is rather subjective.

It's surprising what you can find - even in independents - if you dig hard enough!

Another thing I've just thought of and so not actually tried out: have you tried looking at the websites for any of these mags? That might help also.