Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting magazine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazine-t81257.html)

lyndajean 12-07-2010 12:13 PM

Hi, I am very new to quilting and would like to know what would be a good quilting magazine to subscribe to? Thanks for any advice. LyndaJean

lberna 12-07-2010 12:17 PM

My favorite is American Patchwork and Quilting. I subscribe to several but I prefer APQ

gale 12-07-2010 12:22 PM

If you're a beginner I would go with something like McCall's Quick Quilts. There's also Easy Quilts from Fons & Porter but it only comes out 4 times a year. To me, APQ doesn't have very many simple or beginner projects. That is the main reason I quit subscribing to it.

klgreene 12-07-2010 12:24 PM

I get both of these, plus two more, but these two would be my favorites. McCall's and American Patchwork.

lberna 12-07-2010 12:29 PM

Those are the two that I subscribe to. I occasionally buy others at a store.

Japonica 12-07-2010 12:29 PM

I am very new to this also. (two months). Here is what I am going to do; for what it's worth!!!

I am waiting to subscribe to any magazines right now. This board has been such a wonderful, wealth of information at the tips of my fingers. Their tutorials here ar wonderful.

I find today that most magazines are filled with advertisements. Also, the internet is a wonderful wealth of information. You Tube has so many tutorials on quilting it's unbelievable. I learned how to make a rag quilt and a tube pillowcase (which I got the bright idea to match to the quilt) from watching a video on You Tube about 100 times!

In this time of economic uncertainty, this has just made good sense to me.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

lyndajean 12-07-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Japonica
I am very new to this also. (two months). Here is what I am going to do; for what it's worth!!!

I am waiting to subscribe to any magazines right now. This board has been such a wonderful, wealth of information at the tips of my fingers. Their tutorials here ar wonderful.

I find today that most magazines are filled with advertisements. Also, the internet is a wonderful wealth of information. You Tube has so many tutorials on quilting it's unbelievable. I learned how to make a rag quilt and a tube pillowcase (which I got the bright idea to match to the quilt) from watching a video on You Tube about 100 times!

amma 12-07-2010 12:32 PM

My suggestion is to go to a LQS or store and look through some. They all kind of specialize in certain types of quilts/quilting, and find the one(s) that suit your taste :D:D:D

lyndajean 12-07-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by lyndajean

Originally Posted by Japonica

Thanks, there is so much information on the site, sometimes I lose track of time just browsing. Btw, the picture on my profile is my first quilt top, dont look to closely it is far from perfect! :-)

dunster 12-07-2010 12:52 PM

My favorite continues to be Quilters Newsletter. I'm not looking for patterns in magazines. American Quilter's Society also has an excellent magazine that's included with your membership.