Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t142582.html)

JuneBillie 08-04-2011 09:31 AM

I want to order a quilting magazine, because it is cheaper than buying one in the store where I live. If I have to choose just one, which quilters magazine do you folks recommend? I am a beginner quilter. Thank you for any comments. :)

amma 08-04-2011 09:43 AM

I would suggest checking out the ones in the stores, LQS and your local library.
My tastes are different from yours and different from many others too :wink:
Find one that consistently matches your taste/style and then order it :D:D:D

MIJul 08-04-2011 09:47 AM

My favorite was always McCalls Quilting and McCalls Quick Quilts. They had the best variety of patterns for all levels of quilter ability. And very clear instructions.

That said, everyone will have their own favorite. Like amma said, check them out at the store and see which one suits you best.

jmabby 08-04-2011 10:51 AM

I like Quilting World and Love of Quilting byFons and Porter. I change, I buy one or two one year and a couple of other magazines the next year. I also like McCall's Quilting. I like the idea of going to the library or book store and check out what best suits you.

Scraps 08-04-2011 12:15 PM

I would suggest you check out all the patterns - ideas - and tutorials on this board before spending your $$$. I do know the magazines are fun to look at. I am down to one and probably won't renew. Between this board and Missouri Star Quilts on U Tube and all the web sites board members mention, there are plenty of ideas/patterns, etc. Just a thought.

crafty pat 08-04-2011 12:43 PM

I take Mc Alls, Quilters World, Quilters News Letter and Fons and Porter. The Easy Quilt by Fons and Porter is good for beginners.

Tweety2911 08-04-2011 01:00 PM

Fons and Porter, McCalls and QuiltMaker are my favorite. The library is a great resource to check out which ones you may like to subscribe to.

gollytwo 08-04-2011 01:06 PM

I get several, most I won't renew
The 2 I like are McCalls' and Better Homes and Gardens' Patchwork and Quilting

ube quilting 08-04-2011 01:24 PM

1. I love McCalls Quilting. Nice pattern ideas and very good instructions.
2.American Patchwork & Quilting is also very good. This was my first choice when I started over 12 years ago and I still get it. Good selection for all abilities.
3.Quilters newsletter is wonderful for learning and has lots of techniques to learn that go beyond the basics.
4. American Quilter offers great show pictures and techniques that are used in the quilts. A beautiful Magazine.
They all have good things to offer and for beginers I like # 2.

JuneBillie 08-04-2011 06:03 PM

Thanks everyone. Your comments about the magazines help greatly. I also thought about the different things that some offer. I do love looking at all the places on the web too, but a new quilter still needs one magazine to keep.lol....