Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t36608.html)

fabric=fun 02-13-2010 06:02 AM

These are my humble opinions on the most available mags I have sampled.
Quilter's Newsletter (as the title suggests) has a focus on what's happening in the quilt world rather than patterns - more stories of individuals and groups.
Quiltmaker hits the middle of skills for many patterns in various techniques(as the name implies).
Love of Quilting, American Patchwork and Quilting, Quilter's World, try to include a little of everything.
American Quilter (from American Quilt Society) has an educational edge to it with detailed technique descriptions and in depth interviews with well known quilters, also provides winning quilts at the major shows the attention they have earned.
Easy Quilts, Quick Quilts, etc, are more focused on what their name implies.
Quilter's Home was the brainchild and reflected the personality of Mark Lipinski, don't know what will emerge now that Mark has left.
Quilting Arts is a specialty mag for the art quilting folks and is the most contemporary focused as it features many crossover art techniques and embellishment/mixed media ideas.
Piecework has one issue a year devoted to quilting, interesting other issues on various needlecrafts.
Outside of the U.S. mags (British, Irish, Australian,etc.)are jewels in their cultural highlight differences.
Just a quick overview from my perspective - thanks for starting this thread to reflect what people are reading these days.

maryb119 02-13-2010 06:08 AM

I suscribe to Quilters Newsleter magazine, Fons and Porter For the Love fo Quilting and the Quilter magazine amd American Patchwork and Quilting. I enjoy them all.

weezie 02-13-2010 08:02 AM

I have so many that have accumulated over the years that I now only subscribe when I get a "bargain" such as the recent offer from QUILT for $9.97 for a year (6 issues); I always accept the free issue offers I get, but rarely see anything new and/or compelling in any of them. I get my ideas from catalogs and other quilters.

Another thing is that I am not organized enough to know what's in all my many magazines, so finding a specific pattern is a major undertaking. I'm better off just buying a book with the patterns/variations.

wendiq 02-13-2010 08:09 AM

American Patchwork & Quilting and Quick Quilts and Quiltmaker.

gramquilter2 02-13-2010 08:33 AM

I agree Quilting Arts and Fons & Porter get my vote.

graphicsbysue 02-13-2010 08:35 AM

Here is the URL for McCalls free quilt patterns.
They also have a forum and other helpful pages.
Why pay when you can get patterns for free?
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/index.html

Carol A 02-13-2010 09:26 AM

I haven't been quilting as long as most of you but I like the on line
Quilter's World as well-for same reason-don't have to store-I can review it and download if I want it-then print what I want to use. :P

Mari 02-13-2010 10:07 AM

Hmm--I have never subscribed to any quilt magazine. I recently bought Quilt as it seemed to be a good price. It came today, and I am disappointed. Many of the patterns in that publication, It seems to me, use printed pictures for panels and seem too simple perhaps developed for those who want a fast quilt, or those focusing upon ten inch pictures surrounded by sashing. It, is not to my taste. I enjoy the challenge of piecing. I like to learn, and most of the quilts in that mag, pose no challenge at all, to me. I am a relatively new quilter, having five years of quilting behind me so I am not a snob.

Carol A 02-13-2010 10:18 AM

I took Quilt for a year but didn't find a lot I liked either-I have found a lot more in the Quilt world and really enjoy the on line-you get to access the last two yr as well with the subscription :P

sylvia77 02-13-2010 04:12 PM

My favorite quilt magazines are Quiltmaker, McCall's Quilting and American Patchwork & Quilting. I enjoy them all. Occasionally I like to get Quilter's Newsletter too.