Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t50459.html)

barbrdunn 06-22-2010 03:11 PM

I used to subscribe to several, but after a few years, I found that they repeated the same quilt patterns. So I stopped subscribing, and whenever I need inpiration, I go to my old mags and read them again as if they were new!

Loretta 06-22-2010 03:16 PM

I like most all of them except Quilt Newsletter.

NovisQuilter 06-22-2010 04:31 PM

Yes, to many ads. I stopped subscribing. Every now and then I go to the library's used book store. If I get lucky I can find mags. for 25 or 50 cents. 2009 or early 2010. ie. Fons and Porter, Quilt, Quiltmaker etc.

Annz 06-22-2010 04:46 PM

I have a variety of them in my cabinet.

galvestonangel 06-22-2010 06:02 PM

I am presently subscribing to Fons ^ Porterm BH&G Quilt Mag, McCall's quilt Mag., and Quiltmaker. Occasionaly I buy one at the store. I keep saying I am going to stop getting magazines, I have a ton, because I don't need another pattern. So many now are free or on tutorials by quilt shops, you don't need the magazines. Next year I will probably keep one or two at the most. I also get Sew News, too. In all these years I don't think I have made more than 2 quilts out of a magazine.

Betty Ruth 06-22-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
There are so many mag available between direct mail and at the stores. Do you have a favorite? I cannot decide if i want to keep subscribing because it seem to me that most are filled with ads. Do you feel the same? :roll:

Have you checked thrift stores for some old quilt magazines? I am not a new quilter, but I have foun that many of the new designs are too complicated for me to comprehend. I prefer the simpler patterns more often found in older magazines.

quilterguy27 06-22-2010 09:17 PM

i just got my first Quilters World in the mail yesterday. Read it cover to cover. It's ok, but I wasn't totally impressed. Nothing in it I want to make. Cancelled subscription.

nantucketsue 06-23-2010 12:48 AM

They are really very similar; loads of ads and often long boring articles that I am not interested in, and expensive. I think most quilters want inspiration, techniques, easy patterns and information about new fabrics and products. Instead I subscribe to on-line shows which are less expensive with downloadable free patterns. Actual demonstrations are much easier to follow than diagrams and can be re-visited. I may buy the odd magazine, but only if it is devoted entirely to projects that I am interested in. I still love my old magazines, some of which are over 10 years old.

LindaR 06-23-2010 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I like most all of them except Quilt Newsletter.

I let this one lapse...didn't like the new format (articles alot) so didn't renew

fish92241 06-23-2010 11:16 AM

My standby is Fons & Porter. I nearly always find something I want to make from an issue or get a good way to do something on what I am working on. They are always reliable.