Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-they-piling-up-t90087.html)

willpene 01-18-2011 10:06 PM

I have had to bite the bullet and only get 1 mag every 2 months but this also includes a dvd so it is worth the money. There was a mag I would still be getting if it was being printed, it was Quilts with style came out every 2 months. When the mag stopped they were going to put out pattrens, can anyone tell my how I can get on to them their pattrens were really different, thanks If my daughter saw my grammer in this she would have a fit, she has a masters degree in english.

Annya 01-20-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina

What I do is to photocopy the patterns I want to keep and give the books to my friends at my quilt group so they can use them too. I put the patterns into lever-arch folders in groups--applique--pieced blocks--pieced patterns etc. that way I can find the volume I need easier. every one benefits that way.

Aquarius 01-21-2011 08:25 AM

Yes, I have about 4 or 5 cereal boxes full of them. Don't dare to count how many. I have some as far back as 1992 or 1993. I can't seem to part with them. I could never do like some members have suggested and cut out patterns that I like, put them in a plastic sleeve and throw the magazine away. Gosh, that would be like getting rid of a friend or family member. When i can't sleep at night, like last night, I just grab a box of magazines and look through them, and I always seem to find something that I thought I didn't like, now looks good to me. Wow! Throw them away, I think it would break my heart. I guess I'm just being silly, but I love my magazines. My daughter is the same way with her House &Home and Style at Home magazines. She has boxes of them. Whenever she decides to redo something in the house, out comes her magazines. So I guess I'm not the only crazy one in my family.

monteimom 01-23-2011 09:29 AM

I went through each magazine and tore or cut out those ideas and patterns I thought I might use and put them in a plastic sleeve in a binder by category, i.e. great ideas, strips, stars, scrappy, runners, etc. Now I can research just what I'm looking for without going through magazine after magazine. Uses MUCH less space!

Minister 01-23-2011 10:49 AM

I have a solution for anyone who wants to unload their mag stash- pm me for address. I will be more than glad to help you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Annya 01-23-2011 02:01 PM

I am glad that I still have the older magazines as I need to find patterns for an upcoming challenge quilt. i know the help is in there somewhere.

auntiehenno 01-23-2011 05:40 PM

Am only subscribing to one magagine this year - PIECEWORK. Give mine away. The other mags I have gotten that is.

Annya 01-23-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines but do pick them up occasionally on the newsstand. I'm getting better at not. I have so many patterns and future projects as it is I don't need more....but when I do buy one I keep it for a while, then look through it again. If there is a pattern I absolutely must have I pull it out and put it in a binder (in a page protector). If there's nothing I don't have I send them on to my mom. She enjoys them.

I am the same as you Shari. I get most of mine from other quilt members and recycle the same way. On occasion I will buy a three pack just to get the one book I want. I enjoy going through them a couple of times before passing them on.

quilterfan 01-29-2011 03:58 PM

My daughter has looked all over to find Issue 108, Quick Quilts (Feb-Mar 2010)
Does anyone have that magazine they would be willing to sell?

OlgaT 01-29-2011 04:15 PM

A friend of mine sold my magazines on Ebay. It's a great way to allow others to enjoy them.