Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting with metallic thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-metallic-thread-t308002.html)

molly oldham 11-14-2019 06:29 AM

quilting with metallic thread

I have never. so of course I'm nervous about it. I have a fall table runner to quilt that screams for metallic thread. Advice please.:o

juliasb 11-14-2019 06:37 AM

I tend to stitch much slower with metallic threads. My experience is there is a lot of stretch in them so I go slower to prevent puckering. It is like working with monofilament threads in my opinion.

Tartan 11-14-2019 06:39 AM

​Is your metallic thread round or flat? The flat kind tends to twist if not loaded properly.

feline fanatic 11-14-2019 07:03 AM

Assuming you are using a domestic sewing machine... I did a table runner with metallics on my domestic years ago and it turned out great but I went through a lot of it and that was just doing a meander. So if you are using standard size spools, buy at least two. I didn't do anything different except use the metallic thread needle which has a bigger eye. (Schmetz brand is what I used). You don't want to attempt it without the metallic thread needle or you will get lots of breakage.

I have also used it quite extensively on a quilt on my LA. Think I used a size 18 needle but it may have been a 16.

Iceblossom 11-14-2019 07:12 AM

I recently used a metallic thread by Superior for quilting for a simple meander on a baby sized quilt and I had absolutely no problems with either the machine or the project or the thread breaking.

The modern metallic threads aren't all sharp and pointy like they were back in the 80s.

feline fanatic 11-14-2019 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8326943)
​Is your metallic thread round or flat? The flat kind tends to twist if not loaded properly.

Tartan, I have only seen flat holographic thread (Superior Glitter). It is like Mylar ribbon and is stack wound on the spool. It does need to be loaded on you machine so it feeds off the side of the spool instead of feeding off the top like a cross wound thread. For most domestic machines that would be a vertical spool pin instead of horizontal and on my LA it is exactly the opposite (a horizontal spool pin). I would not be able to run this thread on my Bernina without improvising something but I have run it on my LA as I have a special side spindle just for stack wound threads. It will easily stretch out of shape if it is not loaded properly and then it will break.

PAMAR 11-14-2019 07:23 AM

I have tried many brands of metallic thread. The one that I now use exclusively is Superior. I have not had a problem with their metallic. I also use a needle made for metallics.

PamelaOry 11-14-2019 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8326958)
Tartan, I have only seen flat holographic thread (Superior Glitter). It is like Mylar ribbon and is stack wound on the spool. It does need to be loaded on you machine so it feeds off the side of the spool instead of feeding off the top like a cross wound thread. For most domestic machines that would be a vertical spool pin instead of horizontal and on my LA it is exactly the opposite (a horizontal spool pin). I would not be able to run this thread on my Bernina without improvising something but I have run it on my LA as I have a special side spindle just for stack wound threads. It will easily stretch out of shape if it is not loaded properly and then it will break.

they sell an attachment just for this purpose called the thread director I think.

IrishgalfromNJ 11-14-2019 12:08 PM

Found this https://quiltsocial.com/spotlite-6-t...estic-machine/when I googled your question. You might find more tips.

cashs_mom 11-14-2019 04:26 PM

As Tartan said the flat metallics like Sliver tend to twist if you use a horizontal thread pin. I've used Sliver on my Bernina 180 with the vertical thread pin but I do have to loosen the upper tension.

Feline Fanatic, what Bernina do you have? I don't know about the new ones, but the older ones often had a vertical thread pin that you could get. I bought one for my 180 and use it as my regular thread pin.