Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-needle-t135862.html)

Pam Riggs 07-07-2011 10:01 AM

Which is the best size quilting needle to use? I have a 12 but I can't seem to pick up enought material to do any more than 1 stitch at a time. Need help please.

scraphq 07-07-2011 10:16 AM

The best needle size is one that you can handle easily and do the kind of stitching you desire. Small needles do not necessarily produce small stitches. I have been hand quilting for many years and find that #7 betweens work best for me. I have packs of all the smaller sizes and they bend and break for me. Experiment and use the needle you are most comfortable with.

Jan in VA 07-07-2011 10:17 AM

Are you a new handquilter?
Are your hands/fingers compromised in any way? .... Arthritis/carpel tunnel/nerve damage
Are you using a very thin cotton or wool batting and good quality quilting cottons?

All these will affect your ability to handle the tiny size 12 needle. Many people start with a larger needle (smaller number, isn't that weird?) until they become adept at the stitch, maybe many quilts later.

I, who have been handquilting for many, many years, use a larger needle because I can't feel the needle in my hand with the nerve damage I have. My stitches are about 9 to the inch even with the larger needle.

We never started beginners on the #12 needle unless they were regular handwork sewers.

Jan in VA

Pam Riggs 07-07-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks so much. I didn't realize how small this needle was until I got home. I freaked!

Pam Riggs 07-07-2011 10:27 AM

Thanks

Holice 07-07-2011 10:29 AM

i use #8 between and recommend starting with a #7 and work down in size to the one that works best. It is not true that the smaller the needle the finer the stitches. As Jan as said, a lot depends on one's ability - hand and finger size, qult you are working on etc.
Don't buy the assorted size that are #5-whatever or a #7 to whatever. You will probably use only one or two and put away the rest for sewing on buttons. The only assorted pack I recommend is the one I believe by Thomas that is #8-#12 but can't find them at many places. At least this assorted pack has all the sizes you are most likely to use.
I also prefer those made in England and not Japan as I believe the English needles are stronger and do not bend as easy. However, many sware by the Japanese needles. Also brands are a mis conception as I understand most from amy country come from the same factory. And the designer needles (recommended by a famous quilter) are not always the best. I do know that one such needle is the same as the one sold under Colonial. So the bettom line is find one that works for you. I should have added that while I started with a #7 and then an 8, I stopped at a #9 because i fits my hand.

Iamquilter 07-07-2011 10:33 AM

Find what works for you and you are comfortable with. I use a #9 anything smaller and I break them to easily.

quiltsRfun 07-07-2011 12:04 PM

Another problem I have is whether the point is sharp and slender. I have some needles that just don't work for me because the points are to short. I also like a longer needle. Couldn't tell you the size or type that I'm using cause it was in a packet of needles I had with my sewing supplies.

Pam Riggs 07-07-2011 12:20 PM

thanks - everyone has been helpful.

Linda E 07-07-2011 03:24 PM

I am currently using Piecemaker needles, sz 12, but depending on the thickness of the batting for the quilt, I use 9s or 10s. The problem with being able to get more than one stitch could be your thimble. Make sure you have a really good one.