Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting pattern for log cabin quilt (so many seams!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pattern-log-cabin-quilt-so-many-seams-t299410.html)

Christina_888 09-07-2018 11:03 PM

Quilting pattern for log cabin quilt (so many seams!)

Hullo dear fellow quilters,

may I ask for your ideas? I've just started a log cabin quilt and unlike the one I made years ago, just knotted, this one will be hand quilted.

Now, there are a lot of seams in that pattern and I`ve chosen rather narrow strips. Some 2000 pieces, so lots and lots of seams.

I usually quilt my quills in a wavy pattern, you'll know the one, like quarters of a circle. But here, even with a thin wadding, this seems a bit of a nightmare.

Has anyone used a pattern that makes sense in a log cabin? Maybe just follow the contours, little rectangles? I just cannot think of anything else and checking old quilts on Ebay did not get me much further.

I`d be really grateful for a tip or two; maybe somebody even has a photo of a quilted log cabin for me?

Oh, and by the way, are there quilting needles that you really would recommend?

Thanks for your interest in reading this. And, seeing as I'm German, hello from across the big pond ;)

Christina

JustAbitCrazy 09-08-2018 12:46 AM

Welcome, Christina! You'll love it here. If I were handquilting your quilt, I'd quilt somewhere within the strips to avoid the seams, like a quarter inch away from the seam, etc. You could travel the thread within the quilt at the seam locations.

Mkotch 09-08-2018 01:30 AM

If I were handquilting a log cabin, I would probably go directly down the middle of the logs, in a spiral if possible.

NJ Quilter 09-08-2018 03:28 AM

Welcome from New Jersey. When I hand quilted the log cabin I made, I used stars of varying sizes placed randomly throughout the quilt. I was using Warm & Natural batting - which is also a thin batting and it was not horrible.

For needles, I prefer Roxanne Betweens in usually a size 11. Enjoy your journey.

Maureen NJ 09-08-2018 04:24 AM

I like seeing the fabric patterns. I always press out, away from the center square, so i’d Quilt on the low side either in the ditch or next to the ditch. Depending on the width of your logs, i’d Do every other or third one. That being said, I recall saving a picture where they quilted in the center of the logs and it looked very nice. I’ll try to find it.

Boston1954 09-08-2018 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guten Tag! I have made two Log Cabins, and did both with just lines following the logs. Someone else mentioned stars in different sizes. I made a Boxed Squares doing that and it came out great. I do not think you will have the problem that you think if the needle is nice and small.

Maureen NJ 09-08-2018 04:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These are two I saved in Pinterest.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]600689[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]600690[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 09-08-2018 08:25 AM

Hi Christina and welcome to the board. I love the big stitch quilting that Maurine posted in the 2nd picture and you will avoid the seams that way for sure. But the beauty of big stitch is you can still go with the Baptist fan design (at least that is what I believe you are describing when you mention the quarters of a circle) and manage to avoid most of them or power through them when you take the occasional stitch that catches a lot of seam allowance. Baptist fan is such a timeless design and I have never seen a quilt that didn't look great when done with it. If you do big stitch you can also avoid many seams with the stitches.

nativetexan 09-08-2018 09:12 AM

Oh down the middle of the logs looks great. I never thought of that!!

quiltstonegal 09-08-2018 09:43 AM

Lovely fabric and nicely done.