Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting pattern for a snowball quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pattern-snowball-quilt-t98607.html)

eam4603 02-10-2011 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am new to this group. Also, I will say up front I am not a perfectionist! So I have put together a quilt top for my new niece, and I am not planning on any freestyle quilting (usually I stitch along the seams or do a diagonal cross-hatch), and I was going to use a purple thread that matches the diamonds. But I got the idea to use a stitch on my Pfaff machine that looks like a tiny double row of snowballs to outline each flower block on this quilt top. That will demarcate the flower "snowballs" from each other however. Would that be a mistake? Thank you for your time.
-Elizabeth

Jim's Gem 02-10-2011 06:50 PM

Beautiful quilt!
Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

I am not the best at deciding what quilting would be the best for the quilt. I think it would look fine!

nativetexan 02-10-2011 07:25 PM

can you do that on some left over fabrics and put a pic in here? i think it might work well but would like to see what you mean better.

CoriAmD 02-10-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
can you do that on some left over fabrics and put a pic in here? i think it might work well but would like to see what you mean better.

ditto this :)

ktbb 02-10-2011 07:44 PM

I think you could do that, but if you're impatient like me, you'll get tired of waiting for the machine to do the decorative stitching, and it will take a lot of thread. How about doing the stitch on a few of the snowballs scattered across the quilt then use single/straight stitches on the others.

jojosnana 02-10-2011 07:51 PM

I agree with the others. I have embroidery on my machine to and like to use it but it takes a lot of thread. If you don't mind sitting a while while it does its thing, its your quilt, do whatever you think you will like. I am sure your neice will love it.

eam4603 03-08-2011 05:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the advice to try several options on scratch. I am not a practical thinker, and that practical advice was just what I needed! We (my daughter and I) picked something entirely different. I have so enjoyed relaxing by looking at others' work, so despite the amateur quality of me work (it doesn't bother me, I have to admit!), I would like to return the many favors and post the "post-pictures". I thought about quilting more in the snowballs but wanted to keep it softer for the baby.

Many thanks again. You all helped me over a hump.

Elizabeth

dgmoby 03-08-2011 07:27 AM

I think your final choice worked much better than your first thoughts. You just never know, until you test :)

How many times I wished I would have tested first!!! :(

Great quilt! Glad your daughter was helping!
Debbie in Austin

ktbb 03-08-2011 09:38 AM

looks great!