Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting patterns vs. sewing patterns questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-patterns-vs-sewing-patterns-questions-t66902.html)

mpeters1200 09-26-2010 01:26 PM

I call myself an advanced beginner quilter. My first experience with a sewing machine was in my first, and only, quilt class. I haven't been able to learn how to sew yet...though I love all the steps I've taken to become a better quilter. I have a bit of a problem though....

I found a nice Butterick pattern for a notions caddy that you can take with you. I searched for caddies here, actually, and looked at each thread. Some had the caddies you put on the table and put your machine on top of, but I really couldn't understand the directions well. There was one that was quilted and you use it as a tote, like for a retreat or whatever, but it looked like a suitcase. I found this really nice one at Butterick, but I have no idea how to make it.

It has printed pattern pieces on it and you enlarge them and cut them out of your fabric....so here is my list of questions. I feel like I'm brand new again...I am so confused.

1. So once I print out the pattern pieces, do I put it on the right side of the fabric or the wrong side?
2. What on earth is bias tape and how does it work. Wouldn't it just be better to bind the dang thing like you would a quilt?
3. Do you stretch elastic when you put it in? Do you sew it right down the middle?
4. When making a thicker backing with a piece of batting in it, should I quilt it to make it look pretty, or will quilting it sew all the pockets shut?

I'd like to make this for my small club's Christmas party this year. But I want to make sure I really know what I'm doing first.

Why can't making a caddy for sewing accessories be more like quilting. I can understand quilting.

bearisgray 09-26-2010 01:29 PM

Can you give us a link to the pattern or scan the front of the pattern envelope? (I think that's legal - might need to ask patricej or admin first)

In many cases, bias tape is just a form of binding.

I need pictures to help me "see" what you are describing. 8-)

Dingle 09-26-2010 01:32 PM

I have no answer for you because I'm in the same boat. Cannot for the life of me understand how to sew :shock: You should have seen me with my first Bow Tucks. Could not figure out what a boxed corner was. I'm sure many on this board will help you. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one. Quilting is so much easier. Good luck.

cherylynne 09-26-2010 01:35 PM

Go ahead and try the project. Maybe make one out of cheaper fabric until you get it figured out. I usually pin to the right side, bias tape can be homemade or storebought in fabric store, (covers the raw seams), elastic usually is threaded in a folded down fabric area (casing), and I have quilted the inside pockets to give them stability. Study the directions and the diagrams. Often there are general sewing directions that would explain some of your questions. PM me if you think I can answer more of you questions.

virtualbernie 09-26-2010 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I call myself an advanced beginner quilter. My first experience with a sewing machine was in my first, and only, quilt class. I haven't been able to learn how to sew yet...though I love all the steps I've taken to become a better quilter. I have a bit of a problem though....

I found a nice Butterick pattern for a notions caddy that you can take with you. I searched for caddies here, actually, and looked at each thread. Some had the caddies you put on the table and put your machine on top of, but I really couldn't understand the directions well. There was one that was quilted and you use it as a tote, like for a retreat or whatever, but it looked like a suitcase. I found this really nice one at Butterick, but I have no idea how to make it.

It has printed pattern pieces on it and you enlarge them and cut them out of your fabric....so here is my list of questions. I feel like I'm brand new again...I am so confused.

1. So once I print out the pattern pieces, do I put it on the right side of the fabric or the wrong side?

Unless it tells you to make 2 of the same piece then I don't think it matters as long as you do them all the same way. If you need 2 of the same piece then fold your fabric and cut them both at the same time so you have opposing sides.

2. What on earth is bias tape and how does it work. Wouldn't it just be better to bind the dang thing like you would a quilt?

in a word--yes

3. Do you stretch elastic when you put it in? Do you sew it right down the middle?

If your pattern calls for you to make a casing then you would thread the elastic through the casing. If not you should stretch the elastic as you sew through it with a "zigzag" stitch.

4. When making a thicker backing with a piece of batting in it, should I quilt it to make it look pretty, or will quilting it sew all the pockets shut?
If you're making a thicker backing that's not called for in the pattern, you'll have to make your quilt sandwich first, quilt it as desired, then cut out the pattern piece.

I'd like to make this for my small club's Christmas party this year. But I want to make sure I really know what I'm doing first.

Why can't making a caddy for sewing accessories be more like quilting. I can understand quilting.

Hope this helps :)

bearisgray 09-26-2010 02:56 PM

A lady is offering a basic sewing book in the classifieds. It is a good book and well worth the money.

mpeters1200 09-26-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
A lady is offering a basic sewing book in the classifieds. It is a good book and well worth the money.

I pm'd her. It does look like a great book.

mpeters1200 09-26-2010 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Unless it tells you to make 2 of the same piece then I don't think it matters as long as you do them all the same way. If you need 2 of the same piece then fold your fabric and cut them both at the same time so you have opposing sides.

in a word--yes

If your pattern calls for you to make a casing then you would thread the elastic through the casing. If not you should stretch the elastic as you sew through it with a "zigzag" stitch.

If you're making a thicker backing that's not called for in the pattern, you'll have to make your quilt sandwich first, quilt it as desired, then cut out the pattern piece.

Hope this helps :)

Wow,

Thank you very much for your response. All of your answers made sense. I think I need to do some more research on the patterns I found before I decide on what to make. There's another one that might be easier that hangs off the table and you put your machine on top of it to weigh it down. As always, I weigh new things carefully because I want to learn something, not hate it as I go.

oatw13 09-26-2010 06:38 PM

Bias tape is sold in packages near the thread or zippers usually. It is pre-folded and also, it is cut on the bias, so if you are binding curves, like arm holes or neck holes, this is quite beneficial. It is also slightly wider on one side so that you when you top stitch on the shorter side, you will catch the wider side.

You can always make your own the same way you would make binding for a quilt. Or, you can just cut the edge a little bit longer and make a rolled hem.

No need to make it hard on yourself. Most sewing pattern instructions are just guidelines. You can make changes to make it work better for you.

Just jump in and try it with some cheap fabric or something you aren't in love with. Then you can work out the bugs and see if you really like it or not.

Best of luck!

mpeters1200 09-27-2010 07:53 AM

I've got some not so great fabric running around here. A wonderful angel sent me a pm about some one on one sewing assistance. I would have loved a teacher when I started quilting....so I'm happy to have it for sewing. I will make sure, once I can get everything together and start doing it, to post some pictures.

I love this board!