Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting on a pfaff 2170 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-pfaff-2170-a-t195022.html)

taj334 07-18-2012 10:02 AM

quilting on a pfaff 2170

I have a pfaff 2170 and want to quilt a queen size quilt on it. I have made a few smaller quilts but none queen size.
The blocks still need to be a sashed and sewn together so I could do it in sections. Since the blocks are variations
on the half square I think straight stitch in the ditch will work. Can I do it with the back, batting and top all one sandwich or should I do it in sections? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fien777 07-18-2012 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The biggest quilt I quilted on my pfaff hobby 919-1 was about 100'x 100'
I used hobbs 80/20 as batting.
I didn't roll up the part that was going under the arm but just "shove" it in
As my english is not that good I add a picture of it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349991[/ATTACH]
As you can see I had enough space to work starting in the center of the quilt

Prism99 07-18-2012 11:54 AM

You can quilt in section simply by cutting the batting into 3 pieces. Quilt the middle piece first, then attach a side piece of batting using nylon tricot fusible ("batting tape") and quilt that, etc. This reduces the amount of bulk under the arm of the machine, but the fact that you have quilted in sections is not visible in the finished quilt.

There is a technique for doing this so you don't get messed up. It's important, for example, to create registration marks on your batting before cutting so that you can re-position the batting exactly as it was before you cut it. You also need to leave several inches on each side unquilted, so that you have room to re-attach the batting pieces.

Marti Mitchell (sp?) has a book out on different methods for quilting in sections, and I think this is one of them. I actually learned this method from one of Debra Wagner's books.

quilter1943 07-18-2012 05:25 PM

I've quilted a queen on my Pfaff 2140. Just do it carefully, starting in the center and working your way out. It can be done. Be careful to gather the quilt that is on the inside so you don't quilt over any of it. I did that once -- UGH!

AliKat 07-18-2012 08:03 PM

Marti Michell's book: Machine Quilting in Sections. It highly recommend it. She uses regular quilting and then joins the sections of the quilt and continues.

On the other hand, I have quilted a rather large bed quilt on my Viking, which has an almost 7" harp. I just rolled up either side and worked from the center out. I had small tables and my ironing board surrounding my machine to prevent the quilt dragging. It worked. would do it that way again ... NO WAY!!

That's why I got my HQ16.

ali

CoyoteQuilts 07-19-2012 07:13 AM

I did a over sized King on my 7570 (just step down from 2140). The 2 things I did different were having my machine inside a cabinet so more flat space and sat at the head of the machine so my hands were in the front and back of the machine. Much easier movement because one hand is not fighting with the machine...

Originally Posted by fien777 (Post 5375522)
The biggest quilt I quilted on my pfaff hobby 919-1 was about 100'x 100'
I used hobbs 80/20 as batting.
I didn't roll up the part that was going under the arm but just "shove" it in
As my english is not that good I add a picture of it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]349991[/ATTACH]
As you can see I had enough space to work starting in the center of the quilt