Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Police - Are they Watching? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-police-they-watching-t65531.html)

Edie 09-19-2010 03:37 AM

I have my handy dandy JoAnn's PVC pipe quilt frame which I got from my husband for my birthday right here in the front room, where I plan to watch the Vikings beat the pants off whoever they are playing and start quilting my Star Sampler by hand. (It is a dandy invention this quilt frame!)

Anyhow, I have an arthritic index finger, right hand, and I am having a lot of trouble with a running stitch. Is there any law that says I cannot use a back stitch. I have tried both stitches (practice) and the back stitch doesn't hurt as much. It is mainly the first knuckle behind the fingernail that is out of shape and I cannot bend the finger all the way. And I am right handed so the needle is in my right hand.

You always read "running stitch" and this is going to be a gift and I don't want to make a fool of myself, I don't want the Quilting Police on my tail, but yet I want to hand quilt if I can and if it has to be with a back stitch, will it cause any problems! I am making my thread about 18" long. Most of you nice people say that the real satisfaction of quilting a quilt is doing it by hand. I have done some by hand, but I want to do a big one, with a nice patterned quilting design. (I did get some templates (easy ones to start)).

Thanks in advance. GO VIKES! Edie

RevPam 09-19-2010 03:41 AM

No laws! No rules! QUilting is about creativity so maybe you will start somethin new that we can all learn from!

DebsShelties 09-19-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I have my handy dandy JoAnn's PVC pipe quilt frame which I got from my husband for my birthday right here in the front room, where I plan to watch the Vikings beat the pants off whoever they are playing and start quilting my Star Sampler by hand. (It is a dandy invention this quilt frame!)

Anyhow, I have an arthritic index finger, right hand, and I am having a lot of trouble with a running stitch. Is there any law that says I cannot use a back stitch. I have tried both stitches (practice) and the back stitch doesn't hurt as much. It is mainly the first knuckle behind the fingernail that is out of shape and I cannot bend the finger all the way. And I am right handed so the needle is in my right hand.

You always read "running stitch" and this is going to be a gift and I don't want to make a fool of myself, I don't want the Quilting Police on my tail, but yet I want to hand quilt if I can and if it has to be with a back stitch, will it cause any problems! I am making my thread about 18" long. Most of you nice people say that the real satisfaction of quilting a quilt is doing it by hand. I have done some by hand, but I want to do a big one, with a nice patterned quilting design. (I did get some templates (easy ones to start)).

Thanks in advance. GO VIKES! Edie

I learned it is best to do things the way they work for YOU! Just because one method works for some does not mean it will work for everyone.
There are several ways to make various blocks, that is OK! Flying Geese is a great example of that.
You made a quilting frame that works for you BRAVO! Have fun and don't worry about the quilt police!

wolfkitty 09-19-2010 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by RevPam
No laws! No rules! QUilting is about creativity so maybe you will start somethin new that we can all learn from!

Well said!

purplemem 09-19-2010 03:44 AM

The back stitch is a beautiful stitch. I have a book on handquilting that says the back stitch is just as "acceptable" as the running stitch.

I cheat and use something I got from Tractor Supply, but I bought a pair at Harbor Freight. It is a pair of spring loaded needle nosed pliers, and the nose is curved upward. It has serrated teeth on the nose and the handle is padded. It is perfect for me to make a running stitch, load my needle, and pull it through with the pliers. It was awkward at first, but now I quilt as fast as anyone else.

Also, I don't use a frame at all. It makes the quilt easier for me to manipulate.

leatheflea 09-19-2010 03:45 AM

You might just start a new trend in quilting! Go for it!

ktbb 09-19-2010 03:45 AM

I agree - do what works for you...but...have you checked out Alex Anderson's videos on quilting? She quilts with her middle finger and thumb, not the index finger...I don't hand quilt myself, so can't address any specifics on how to do it, but there was a video on line a few months ago showing how she does it. Might work for you as well.

wolfkitty 09-19-2010 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
The back stitch is a beautiful stitch. I have a book on handquilting that says the back stitch is just as "acceptable" as the running stitch.

I cheat and use something I got from Tractor Supply, but I bought a pair at Harbor Freight. It is a pair of spring loaded needle nosed pliers, and the nose is curved upward. It has serrated teeth on the nose and the handle is padded. It is perfect for me to make a running stitch, load my needle, and pull it through with the pliers. It was awkward at first, but now I quilt as fast as anyone else.

Also, I don't use a frame at all. It makes the quilt easier for me to manipulate.

Such a great idea! Sew creative.

DebsShelties 09-19-2010 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem

I have a pair of those needlenose plyers, they come in very handy for pulling needles especially when you have arthritis.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-19-2010 04:14 AM

Edie, I agree with the others and I know from experience how much fun hand quilting is. Very relaxing for me. However, being a rabid Yankees fan I'm sometimes not that relaxed hahahahahaha :D