Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting with Poll or Cotton Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-poll-cotton-thread-t228627.html)

SumikoKeel 08-23-2013 10:51 PM

Quilting with Poll or Cotton Thread

Good Morning Ladies,

This is my first question for the board and after lurking for sometime and enjoying your posts and helpfulness, friendliness I have gathered my nerve to post what perhaps is a redundant question. In hopes I may glean a better understanding of something I can't quite grasp as of yet.

I'm a novice quilter ( maybe even less than..) I'm stitching a Grandmother's flower garden by hand (paper piecing) - and a dresden plate large fan size on the machine with Mettler cotton covered polly thread? I think , thats what it is...anyway. I'm practicing free motion quilting small bits with the Mettler and a 14 needle with not much problem. I purchased an Etsy Class :thumbup: - woots - and had a great time with that! Gained lots of info on free motion. ( not much on threads and needles).

I suppose the question is - do I free motion with what I have? Or do I go with a nice shiny poly thread ? And how do I determine what thread and needle size? It seems to be a deep multi scary universe out there.

To give you an idea of my dohness I just figured out my birds nest and needle freezes were caused because (SURPRISE) !!I needed to clean my bobbin.

I'm so new at this and it's all a language I have no clue. I'm sewing more by hand than I'm by machine sometimes... ( kinda addicted to the paper piecing). lolol .Any help would be sooooooo welcome and muchly appreciated. When I get my quilt top unfolded after the cat gives up her spot I'll take a pic... the top is a little " green" I was thinking GARDEN PATH... lol the cat is thinking " mine" I should say cats.. they take turns of ownership. And my poor dresden needs to get finished so I need to do the thread choice thing . lol .. Imma lost cause. THANK YOU. :)

ckcowl 08-24-2013 01:03 AM

to learn about needles & thread visit the Superior Threads website- they offer a vast amount of free information to teach you all about different threads, needles- sizes, weights, uses...they have free charts you can print off that tell you about each different thread- what it is best used for, the weights it comes in and what needles to use with it. a great resource to have- they also have classes & clubs. you should clean your bobbin area with every bobbin change- as for should you use a ('shiny polyester'?) - if you want to-- people quilt with all kinds of different threads- for all kinds of reasons- cotton, polyester, silk, invisible, metallic; some like very fine threads, some like heavier threads- as long as the thread is strong (doesn't break constantly while you are trying to quilt with it) and gives you the look you are wanting it is ok to use it- some machines prefer one thread over another (machines sometimes seem to have minds of their own) visit the superior threads website- and experiment, do practice pieces trying different threads, needles- be adventurous. :)

SumikoKeel 08-24-2013 01:14 AM

I shall head over there and begin reading. I know the needles I got with the machine Janome Magnolia was Organ Brand...and I totally guessed about thread. lol.. Imma off to a new site. Thanks a million :) ... I really am not into needing shiny newness and fancy little bells and whistles because - I'm just starting out. I'm lucky I can get a straight line to begin and then start to get a gentle curve happening when I want one. I'm looking for stability and no hassle with tension. So far, knock on wood. My little machine sings... I'm scared to mess with it.... lol . eepps... lol.. off I go and see what I can learn. ( I don't know the benefits of Poly from cotton so I'll read more too). Thank you Ckcowl.

SumikoKeel 08-24-2013 01:15 AM

PS: Never knew I should clean the machine after every bobbin change :) whew... I just made a note of that. :)

Reb 08-24-2013 01:22 AM

I just went through this between coton and poly. I chose cotton but no longer buying Mettler. I've just developed a problem with Mettler creating too much lint. I'm switching to Aurafil. Your needle question you may find an answer to at the Schmetz site. Google Schmetz and you will find needle charts telling which to use for thread size and weight and purpose. Don't be shy about posting. Being a "super user" can sound intimidating but everyone who has responded to my questions has been great. I"m new to the Board and posting, but we've all asked these questions and this Board is the best place to be for answers, knowledge you didn't even know you needed and inspiration. Welcome

Reb 08-24-2013 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SumikoKeel (Post 6252018)
PS: Never knew I should clean the machine after every bobbin change :) whew... I just made a note of that. :)

My Bernina requires oiling with cleaning the bobbin case. You can usually tell by the sound.

SumikoKeel 08-24-2013 01:29 AM

I never realized Aurifil had a cotton? Nice going!! I had a terrible mess with my machine **coughing* spitting* gagging* I had no idea it was the bobbin all gummed up...! I bought a sewing machine vacuum thingy, then cleaned the whole thing the best I could. It has been singing since. Not one person, not even the sales person told me to clean the bobbin, till this forum... I guessed when I pulled it out and found a bunch of lint the size of my head in there. ( lightly kidding ) lol.

Ok, so I'm gonna make a list of reading materials and go exploring. ( Welcome to the board too Reb) and thank you. so much!!!

SumikoKeel 08-24-2013 01:30 AM

Reb, I had to be deaf. I seriously never noticed a change... or maybe I did but, it was so subtle.

SumikoKeel 08-24-2013 01:31 AM

My Janome never needs oiling. Not sure why... :) Yeah, me.. :P No mess.

Reb 08-24-2013 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by SumikoKeel (Post 6252026)
My Janome never needs oiling. Not sure why... :) Yeah, me.. :P No mess.

Not sure why mine does. But, I took it to my dealer to check my FMQ and the first thing they checked was the bobbin inside casing mechinism found out it was dry. They put in a drop of oil and sounded smooth as glass after that. They informed me that a drop of oil should be applied after each bobbin used up. However, the Mfg did not state that in the manual. They have a real quality service repair dept. They are the ones who discovered this. Glad for you with your Janome, one less thing to think about.