Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-question-t283352.html)

Bluelady 10-28-2016 08:57 PM

Using the walking foot helps a lot. I also try touse the spray basting when I can

ruby2shoes 10-28-2016 10:27 PM

So are you then saying that if you use a walking foot to quilt you don't have to reduce presser foot pressure?

GingerK 10-29-2016 05:24 AM

Many Pfaff machines have dual feed which takes the place of a walking foot. I no longer Stitch in the Ditch because I could never keep the stitching exactly in that pesky ditch and the way the seams were pressed would sometimes throw it off too. I now echo quilt--1/16th to 1/4 inch from the seam line. Seems to works much better for me.

If you think there was too much pressure on the foot, make a sample sandwich with several seams and test your theory. Let us know what you learn.

Geri B 10-29-2016 05:50 AM

When I use the walking foot I lower the top pressure---- instructions on packaging.

salederer 10-29-2016 06:59 AM

Stretching the back was probably where you went wrong. I lay mine out and make sure it is smooth, then tape it so it won't move. Then I lay the batting over making sure it is smooth and add the top doing the same. Then starting at the center I pin baste my quilt with the curved safety pins. I have not had any problem with wrinkles or distortion since I started doing it this way.

Jennifer23 10-29-2016 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lilrain (Post 7687078)
When finished the back was not tight. I guess my back was more taped smooth than "stretched" as I did not tug on it. I am not a new quilter, have not had this happen before. But it is the first project quilted on this particular machine. I was wondering if the pressure on the foot was too much.

I think you're right- it sounds like the presser foot pressure is too high. You may need to reduce it, since the quilt sandwich is so thick. I've found that this helps with my new Husqvarna, even though I don't remember doing it with my old machine.

BettyGee 10-29-2016 08:33 AM

I've tried not using my walking foot on a small project as I thought it would be quicker. Bad choice, I use the walking foot now and no problems. The action of the feed dogs working with the fabric instead of forcing it makes a big difference. Ah we live and learn, well sometimes that works.

cashs_mom 10-29-2016 08:48 AM

Can't you lessen the pressure on the pressure foot and see if it corrects the problem?

Watson 10-29-2016 09:11 AM

I've only ever seen the fusible batting in polyester. I've used it for wall hangings and had good results.

Watson

Tartan 10-29-2016 09:18 AM

When quilting straight lines, I use my walking foot, reduce the pressure, increase my stitch length a bit and use my Machinger gloves. I make a halo with my hands around the foot as I stitch, pulling side ways a bit to keep the back and top slightly taut to reduce any movement.