Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting room advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-room-advice-t195445.html)

Digitizingqueen 07-23-2012 05:56 PM

I have my long arm in my master, I have a huge bedroom but it still takes up a lot of room, I also have a spare bedroom as my sewing space it is packed full. And always a mess... Ahh well at least I have some space

ka9sdn 07-24-2012 04:23 AM

I have what I call my Sewing Studio--it is 16 x 32 so my long arm, sewing desk, writing desk, cutting table, ironing board and a row of drawers all fit but it is getting full. No matter how big you make it you will eventually run out of space. I am actually working to reduce my stash as I am getting older and cannot ever use all the fabric I have. If you get to choose your space size be sure you have plenty of space around the LA--it takes more than you think.

gramacheri 07-24-2012 04:38 AM

I will bring home my new-to-me long arm in about 2 weeks. I am going to try and put into my sewing room. We have measured and planned and I think that I need about 6 feet of space to do the quilting, plus 14 feet for the frame to be set up and still have room to move around it. I have rearranged my machines and tables around these measusrements. (Just praying that it all fits!) It's exciting but scary at the same time. Good luck with your plans!

kydeb 07-24-2012 05:45 AM

I have a 16x32 bonus room over my garage that I'm getting finished for my sewing space. I don't think you can have too much space!! My stuff tends to expand to the walls and ceiling that limits it!! LOL

Raine 07-24-2012 06:49 AM

I love your dream!

Judie 07-24-2012 08:19 AM

Go BIG... You won't be unhappy if it's plenty big, but you can get very unhappy and overwhelmed when your work area is too small to work in comfortably!

Latrinka 07-24-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by shayzamn (Post 5386928)
There are computer programs out there that will let you "build" a room and move stuff around in it. You might look into that - there are some inexpensive programs (about $10 at Half Price Books, I think), and you could play with different size rooms and see what they would look like.

I think I'd go with this suggestion.

Judi in Ohio 07-24-2012 10:57 AM

When we built this house, dh gave me a lovely little 10 x 10 room to make my own - he took the 1500 sf on the one side and made a shop with it. We have a family/tv room that is as large as my hubbies shop - teehee - it is now also my sewing room. My long arm goes across width wise. I have a dining table that holds my sewing machines, a large cutting board & iron set up, plus my tv & couches & fabric storage. I am so lucky my dh has hobbies and wants me to be happy doing mine. Of course this took some time - I just kept spreading out!!!! lol

peabee 07-24-2012 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by deborahlees (Post 5387230)
think about this.....could any room really be big enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean think of all the room you would need for just the fabric. Let alone a design wall, the biggest long arm you could find....and not to mention the huge cutting table, a computer, a tv, a large ironing board, at least 4 sewing machines , maybe a washer and dryer...a wet bar with coffee pot, microwave, popcorn maker, and a wine frig....now that is only the beginning......let me wish anyway ;)

now you're talkin sister!!!

toasteo 07-24-2012 05:10 PM

I moved into a 3bedroom house, my son took the wall out between two bedrooms and made a sewing room it's great, I have room for all the toys and needs to haves, including turning one wall into a felt staging space