Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting on a shoe-string budget (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-shoe-string-budget-t140046.html)

Dianemarie 07-24-2011 06:50 PM

I have fabric from several sources; goodwill, old clothes, local quilt shop(sale) friends; garage and estate sales.
Just make sure everything has the same content for washing.
Also Joanns has coupons and alot of local quilt shops will honor those coupons as well. And don't be afraid to ask local shops when they are having a sale. But usually you can't use a coupon with a sale item.
I save all scraps and use them for potholders as little gifts. And now love the idea of mug rugs !

Enjoy the hunt.

Peckish 07-24-2011 06:57 PM

Craft Warehouse carries high-quality quilting fabric, and occasionally their clearance section will go down to $3 a yard. I believe Craft Warehouse is a regional chain in the Pacific NW.

ontheriver 07-24-2011 07:02 PM

I piece together smaller pieces of batting to use in wall hangings, place mats, and smaller quilts. I always check thrift stores where ever I go. I buy used sheets that are in good condition and use them as backing on a lot of the quilts I make for family. For gift quilts I will buy a new sheet from Walmart for backing. It is less expensive than yardage. Use coupons as much as I can. Keep and use scraps as much as I can, especially for applique.

RenaB 07-24-2011 08:24 PM

Yes, thrift stores and garage sales.

RenaB 07-24-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I find that doing SID for the quilting saves me a lot of money. I did invest in a walking foot, so it is a lot easier now. Just another suggestion.

What is SID?

SherriB 07-24-2011 08:28 PM

It is stitch in the ditch. Or stitch in the seams of your quilt.

Lv2sew2011 07-24-2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by RenaB

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
I find that doing SID for the quilting saves me a lot of money. I did invest in a walking foot, so it is a lot easier now. Just another suggestion.

What is SID?

SID= Stitch in Ditch

MelodyWB 07-24-2011 08:34 PM

Recycling is what's it's all about..I've lost the idea of how quilting was in the past..they saved every scrap they could get their hands on and tied them..I actually sell a couple and use the money to buy more..lots of ways to stay on budget..this board will help you !!

ploverwi2 07-24-2011 08:37 PM

I am an applique lover, the fusible raw edge kind, and you would laugh at me, if you saw my bag of heat n bond that is in all sorts of pieces. That stuff is so expensive, I never ever waste it. The very small pieces can be use to do letters or little things on quilts. I also keep all of my batting scraps and do what the other ladies do with it.
You didn't tell us where you live, but if you would pay the postage, I would send you some nice big pieces from my stash.
Karen

GwynR 07-24-2011 09:12 PM

Old clothes make great quilts!