Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting on a small machine. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-small-machine-t276420.html)

rryder 03-06-2016 09:10 AM

I have used several different methods to quilt large quilts on my domestic machine. I've done the individual squares and then put them together with sashing--that works very well, but it can be a bit fussy when you're trying to get the back sashing stitched down and looking good (unless you do that part by hand).

I have also done the method where you split your batting, but your top and back are whole. This minimizes bulk. You put in 1/3 to 1/2 your batting, quilt that with the unsandwiched top and bottom squished into the throat of your machine. Then add the other parts of your batting. It works well and to my eye looks a lot better than joining individually quilted squares, but the drawback is that you have to really watch not to let the unsandwiched portion of the backing get underneath the part you're quilting---then you have to do some unsewing-- guess how I know this LOL

Another thing you could do, if you are doing a quilt that will have borders is to quilt the center section before you attach the borders. Then attach the borders and backing material, add batting and quilt them. You will still have to manage the bulky already quilted part of the quilt by providing support to the left side of your machine and also behind it, but it will not be clogging up the throat of your machine.

There are lots of good tutorials and books out there, Marti Michel has a book and also a course on Craftsy that explains her techniques, Anne Peterson has two courses on quilting large quilts on a small domestic machine, also on Craftsy. There are also a number of YouTube videos out there to help.

Rob

ManiacQuilter2 03-06-2016 10:22 AM

I have done dozens of queen size quilts on my Bernina 1530 including my avatar and never had a problem because I built support for the quilt around my sewing desk. I moved and since then, I have not had my friend to help me reorganize my sewing area.

Pennyhal 03-06-2016 11:28 AM

I do a quilt as you go method, but not block by block. I divide my quilt into sections, about 3 feet wide, or what I feel I can comfortably handle with my machine. Then put the sections together.

nvb50 03-06-2016 07:12 PM

I do a modified quilt as you go.

1. complete all your blocks and sew them together in thirds. I do mine in columns.
2. sandwich 1/3 of the top with batting 3 inches wider on the left and right. (or more on the left depending on the boarder)
3. sandwich the entire back, lining up the left side even with the batting.
4. Quilt that section how ever you want.
5. Attach another section of batting to the previous batting, making sure that the top or the backing is not in the way.
6. place the next section of the top face down on the previous top section and using a 1/4 inch seam.
7. Sandwich that section together and proceed with the next quilting.
8. Attach the 3rd section like you did the 2nd section.

9. I attach the boarders either before or after the quilting depending on what look I am trying to get.

I have done all my quilts that are bigger than a twin size.

piker6ca 03-06-2016 08:07 PM

I just tried my first quilt as you go and I have to say It,s so much easer .
Posted a picture last week with it in .
Tom