Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilting software do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-software-do-you-prefer-t280421.html)

recycler 07-14-2016 04:14 AM

Which quilting software do you prefer?

I am shopping for a new laptop and want to make sure I get one that works well with quilting software, and would love to know what is the favorite out there and why. I am working on a strip/row by row for my college bound dgs and it would sure be helpful to have it now as it is taking way longer than it should since I just can't picture how it will look! Thanks for your help!

jgriinke 07-14-2016 04:41 AM

I have Electric Quilt 7. Love it. There is a learning curve!

Onebyone 07-14-2016 05:04 AM

I have EQ7, Foundation Factory, Quilt Pro, and Blockbase. I use Foundation Factory the most because I love paper piecing. EQ7 is the one I'd keep if I had to choose.

ManiacQuilter2 07-14-2016 05:39 AM

EQ7, it is the best on the market. Go look at their website. There are monthly free fabrics and projects. Most quilts I make I have the pattern on EQ first before I start. Love it! I have own some version since 1995. If you can't afford EQ7, then go looking for a used copy of EQ5 (eBay). Many members here still have EQ5 and haven't felt the need to upgrade.

recycler 07-14-2016 07:02 AM

Ok, from following this board, I thought the EQ7 was probably the way to go, just wanted to make sure! Thanks so much!

QuiltnNan 07-14-2016 08:37 AM

as far as i'm concerned, EQ is the only way to go

Peckish 07-14-2016 08:46 AM

I can't compare, because I've only used EQ. My contribution is to let you know EQ7 is available for both Windows and Mac. :thumbup:

Snooze2978 07-14-2016 09:07 AM

I have Windows 10 on my computer and use EQ7 for the designing of a quilt pattern. I use ProQ Designer to lay out my quilting patterns as I have a robotic system on my quilting machine. Both have worked great from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Johanna Fritz 07-14-2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by recycler (Post 7601391)
I am working on a strip/row by row for my college bound dgs and it would sure be helpful to have it now as it is taking way longer than it should since I just can't picture how it will look! Thanks for your help!

Grrrr - I put time into typing this and was signed out before I posted. Auto Save only got half. Lesson learned. Type in Word and then cut and paste - OK, here it is again.

EQ7 is by far the way to go. The thing that is nice about it is that you can make simple blocks/quilts or go advanced, and the program has everything you need. Also, here are some of the issues I saw mentioned:
1. Cost: Yes $189.00 is a lot, but you will get automatic upgrades for free. I bit the bullet and just asked Santa to make that my 1 gift one year. (I just saw that Amazon Prime has it for $164.00 - huh.

2. Learning Curve. I started way back with EQ5 - nightmare! For EQ7, something I did that REALLY helped, even though it sounds annoying. I got a cheap composition notebook, and started reading the Owner's Manual. I took notes with a heading and page # to refer to in the manual for the things I knew I would use - and added one or 2 points. I don't do anything with images for example, and can read it later if I need to. I am looking for everyday stuff.

3. Instruction: I CANNOT imagine using this program without the book: EQ With Me: Pieced Drawing Exercises by Patti Anderson. It is spiral bound, and covers things not even in the user manual. There is one for applique too, but I would only recommend that if you are doing applique-only quilts. You still need the info in the other piecing book for making quilts etc.

4. Blocks and other compatible software: I would get Blockbase ASAP before they discontinue it. It has virtually every pieced block published in the Kansas City Star and other papers from 1836 to 1970: over 4,300 patterns. Of course one person's "Churn Dash" is another person's "Hole in the Barn Door." My EQ7 designing exploded when I bought this. I especially got many varied and interesting blocks using the "clip and flip" - which created even more new blocks.

5. I see your comment about making a strip/row quilt. EQ7 makes it so easy: pick the number of rows-dimensions of the rows - AND what kind of blocks do you want in the rows: pieced-lined up, half-drop, applique etc. You can also pick a finished quilt size and the number of rows you want and it will do the math for you.
6. Best Features - this is where I went into detail. I will just list them and maybe you could Google the term and EQ7. (1) Auto Fill Borders (2) Block Serendipity (3) Quilt Top/Block Symmetry (16 layouts from your blocks) - works with asymmetrical blocks. (4) Swap Colors on Quilt top - one click to swap vs. individually (5) Your row by row - super easy to do (6) Paper Piecing - you can change to make you own sections and numbering - all by clicking the mouse.

Whew - That's my WAY too long way to say get EQ7, Blockbase and Kaleidoscope Collection and enjoy. PM me if you need help with the row quilt and I can do a quick design for you - no charge.

Innov8R 07-16-2016 09:02 AM

EQ software is absolutely the best--I agree with the suggestion to buy Blockbase. I love the vintage blocks that came with Blockbase. I repurpose fabric and scan it into EQ, so the previews I get look very much like the quilt I am designing.