Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting stencils (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-stencils-t99049.html)

barb55 02-12-2011 09:05 AM

Does any one ever use stencils for their FMQ

Bobbinchick 02-12-2011 09:09 AM

I do, I just made my own the other day and then I pounced the designs on and quilted it. I like them and I'm goign to order some more as i don't have very many and I want to have more to chose from when I do my quilting. You just place the stencil where you want it and then use some punce or some other marking tool and then you can quilt. Never quilt over the stencil, just pounce on the design and remove stencil and voila your design is there so follow the lines and you have it made. Love them. Huggies, Fay

Midwestmary 02-12-2011 09:21 AM

Yes, I do - especially on smaller items - easy to use a disappearing ink pen and mark right on the quilt top. And...welcome to the quilt board!

barb55 02-12-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinchick
I do, I just made my own the other day and then I pounced the designs on and quilted it. I like them and I'm goign to order some more as i don't have very many and I want to have more to chose from when I do my quilting. You just place the stencil where you want it and then use some punce or some other marking tool and then you can quilt. Never quilt over the stencil, just pounce on the design and remove stencil and voila your design is there so follow the lines and you have it made. Love them. Huggies, Fay

Thank you so much, I was wondering if they used stencils on any of these beautiful quilts

Jan in VA 02-12-2011 09:25 AM

And (member here) Holice's daughter's company The Stencil Company has many, many wonderful quilting stencils. I've used them for decades, look for them at every major show I attend and buy online.

Jan in VA (no affiliation, just a fan)

pkary 02-12-2011 09:26 AM

Yes, I especially like them for borders when I'm hand quilting. I do a lot of stitch-in-the-ditch and quilters quarters on the main part but like something interesting on the borders when there is no piecing done there.

nativetexan 02-12-2011 09:40 AM

usually the stencils let you do continous designs, so FMQ is all right to do.
i did a large leave border. did the spine of the leaves first all around the border with regular stitching. then FMQ the leaves. did one side of the leaves all around, then went back and finished the other side of the leaves.

sewwhat85 02-12-2011 09:45 AM

love to hear how others do their work

soleegirl 02-12-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by new user

. what about those paper ones that you stick on and sew at the dots. I have tryed abd tryed but my needle doesn't want to move smoothly and i end up ripping it out. Is there a something I am missing?

barb55 02-12-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by soleegirl

Originally Posted by new user

. what about those paper ones that you stick on and sew at the dots. I have tryed abd tryed but my needle doesn't want to move smoothly and i end up ripping it out. Is there a something I am missing?

I was wondering about them also. I tried one on a border and didn't it.The paper was to stiff.