Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Stories - Fiction - AudioBooks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-stories-fiction-audiobooks-t32336.html)

Skeat 12-28-2009 02:30 PM

And it is just the great time of the year to listen or read them!! I loved listening to the Mitford series by Jan Karon...excellent!!

Edie 12-28-2009 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Skeat
And it is just the great time of the year to listen or read them!! I loved listening to the Mitford series by Jan Karon...excellent!!

I have her audiobooks. I love the stories - I like Father Tim, too! I can't wait to get back to my sewing and listening! Edie

Skeat 12-28-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau

Originally Posted by Skeat

I have her audiobooks. I love the stories - I like Father Tim, too! I can't wait to get back to my sewing and listening! Edie

You lucky-lucky quilter!:)I had to check mine out:)LOL

Edie 12-28-2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I just picked up a couple of Jennifer Chiaverini's books on CD from the library! I LOVE listening to books on tape (CD) while I am sewing! or driving long distance!
Diane Mott Davidson's books were a hoot, on tape, or hard copy. The recipes are easier in hard copy!

This is important, trust me, be sure to read/listen to The Runaway Quilt before you read/listen to The Lost Quilter. Actually, it is best to read them in order by the year written. They all fall together and you get to learn about each person and how they mature and do in subsequent stories. I don't know if I can do this, but I will: In order:

1. The Quilter's Apprentice - 1999
2. Round Robin - 2000
3. Ceross Country Quilters - 2001
4. The Runaway Quilt - 2002
5. The Quilter's Legacy - 2003
6. The Master Quilter - 2004
7. The Sugar Camp Quilt - 2005
8. The Christmas Quilt - 2005
9. The Circle of Quilters - 2006
10.The Quilter's Homecoming - 2007
11.The New Year's Quilt - 2007
12.Winding Ways Quilt - 2008
13.The Lost Quilter - 2009
14.A Quilter's Holiday - 2009 (out Nov.2009)
15.The Aloha Quilt - 2010 - Out Apr. 15, 2010

This is for anyone who is interested.

Also, if you like Diane Mott Davidson, which I do, you will also enjoy JoAnne Fluke.

Edie

Sandy1951 12-28-2009 03:27 PM

I agree with Edie on the importance of reading/listening to Jennifer Chiaverini's books in order. You get so much more out of them that way. I think that's true about a few of the other authors previously mentioned, too.

I really liked Emilie Richards' Shenandoah series, but it's vital (IMHO, lol) to read the first book in the series first. In fact, I think they're all best read in order:

Wedding Ring
Endless Chain
Lover's Knot
Touching Stars
Sister's Choice

Emilie Richards also has a mystery series that touches on quilting and other types of crafts, whose "heroine" and amateur sleuth is a real hoot. She's a pastor's wife who has to be constantly aware of how her activities affect her husband's position in their church. Her mother is the quilter and crafter, who plays a larger part in the last three books. Again, I recommend reading the books in order:

Blessed is the Busybody
Let There be Suspects
Beware False Profits
A Lie for a Lie

I really, really enjoyed Earlene Fowler's Benni Harper series. I liked them so much that I wanted to space them out so they'd last longer, but I just couldn't; I read them as fast as I could. Then I read them again. It's too bad they're not on audio, at least, I don't think they are. Edie, did you realize you didn't list all the books? I know I'm repeating myself, but again I strongly recommend reading these in order. This is a series that most definitely builds on past books:

Fool's Puzzle
Irish Chain
Kansas Troubles
Goose in the Pond
Dove in the Window
Mariner's Compass
Seven Sisters
Arkansas Traveler
Steps to the Altar
Sunshine and Shadow
Broken Dishes
Delectable Mountains
Tumbling Blocks
State Fair (release date May 2010)

Fowler also published a book of quilt patterns based on the first handful of books called "Benni Harper's Quilt Album." She also included stories about the characters that you'll enjoy more after you read some of the books.

Ghostrider mentioned "A Single Thread" by Marie Bostwick. "A Thread of Truth" is the sequel.

I read a knitting novel I enjoyed (I forgot to check if it's on audio). The author is British, so it was published in England under a different title, which matches the book better. Gil McNeil is the author; the U.S. title is "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club." McNeil published a sequel in 2008 that I haven't read yet, since it won't be published in the U.S. until 5-11-10. Grrrrr...that's a pet peeve of mine. Why does it sometimes take two years for British books to get published here? I'm sure publishers have a good reason, but frustrated readers, like me, would like to see them published here much sooner. Anyway, the sequel is "Needles and Pearls."

There's another quilting series that no one's mentioned, but I can't think now what it is. I'll have to look it up and post again.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. There's some books mentioned in this thread I haven't read, but I'll remedy that pretty quickly. :D

Edie 12-28-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
I agree with Edie on the importance of reading/listening to Jennifer Chiaverini's books in order. You get so much more out of them that way. I think that's true about a few of the other authors previously mentioned, too.

I really liked Emilie Richards' Shenandoah series, but it's vital (IMHO, lol) to read the first book in the series first. In fact, I think they're all best read in order:

Wedding Ring
Endless Chain
Lover's Knot
Touching Stars
Sister's Choice

Emilie Richards also has a mystery series that touches on quilting and other types of crafts, whose "heroine" and amateur sleuth is a real hoot. She's a pastor's wife who has to be constantly aware of how her activities affect her husband's position in their church. Her mother is the quilter and crafter, who plays a larger part in the last three books. Again, I recommend reading the books in order:

Blessed is the Busybody
Let There be Suspects
Beware False Profits
A Lie for a Lie

I really, really enjoyed Earlene Fowler's Benni Harper series. I liked them so much that I wanted to space them out so they'd last longer, but I just couldn't; I read them as fast as I could. Then I read them again. It's too bad they're not on audio, at least, I don't think they are. Edie, did you realize you didn't list all the books? I know I'm repeating myself, but again I strongly recommend reading these in order. This is a series that most definitely builds on past books:

Fool's Puzzle
Irish Chain
Kansas Troubles
Goose in the Pond
Dove in the Window
Mariner's Compass
Seven Sisters
Arkansas Traveler
Steps to the Altar
Sunshine and Shadow
Broken Dishes
Delectable Mountains
Tumbling Blocks
State Fair (release date May 2010)

Fowler also published a book of quilt patterns based on the first handful of books called "Benni Harper's Quilt Album." She also included stories about the characters that you'll enjoy more after you read some of the books.

Ghostrider mentioned "A Single Thread" by Marie Bostwick. "A Thread of Truth" is the sequel.

I read a knitting novel I enjoyed (I forgot to check if it's on audio). The author is British, so it was published in England under a different title, which matches the book better. Gil McNeil is the author; the U.S. title is "The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club." McNeil published a sequel in 2008 that I haven't read yet, since it won't be published in the U.S. until 5-11-10. Grrrrr...that's a pet peeve of mine. Why does it sometimes take two years for British books to get published here? I'm sure publishers have a good reason, but frustrated readers, like me, would like to see them published here much sooner. Anyway, the sequel is "Needles and Pearls."

There's another quilting series that no one's mentioned, but I can't think now what it is. I'll have to look it up and post again.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. There's some books mentioned in this thread I haven't read, but I'll remedy that pretty quickly. :D

I have Emilie Richards audio books and I have the ones that Earlene Fowler did in Audiobooks, Delectable Mountain, Broken Dishes, Sunshine and Shadows and Tumbling Blocks and Love Mercy - I also like BEnni Harper. Another is Tracie Peterson. She is good! Also Nancy E TUrner - These is My Words, Sarah's Quilt and The Star Garden - in that order. That's enough to last us all a lifetime. Thanks for the books you told me about. Really appreciate it! Edie

Sandy1951 12-29-2009 01:57 AM

Edie,

It's too bad all of Earlene Fowler's books aren't on audio. Her latter books in the Benni Harper series are much more enjoyable if you've read/heard the first ones.

I found the other quilting series I was thinking of. Terri Thayer is the author and the books are:

Old Maid's Puzzle
Wild Goose Chase
Ocean Waves

I don't think these are as good as some, but Thayer is a long-time quilter and definitely knows the quilting business. One of the reviews of "Old Maid's Puzzle" calls it a "cutting-edge drama deftly sliced to reveal the sass beneath the surface of the quilting business." The main character is Dewey Pelicano, a computer techie who just inherited her recently-deceased mother's quilting store. Her sister-in-law is one of the employees and she most definitely does not like Dewey taking over the store, which is a major part of the storyline. Also, Dewey gets a new boyfriend at the beginning of the first book. He and Dewey have an active sex life and the inclusion of this in the first book evidently offended some readers because there are several negative reviews on Amazon that mention it. :lol: Personally, I don't remember anything very shocking, so I got a chuckle out of those reviews. Jeez, aren't quilters allowed to have sex? Evidently not in quilt cozies! :roll:

I am definitely going to read Nancy E. Turner's books. I was quite impressed by the reviews on Amazon of "These Is My Words." I really want to read it right now, but we're moving this weekend and I've simply GOT to do the packing.
And I have a feeling that once I start reading it I won't be able to put it down. So I'll try to be a good girl and do my chores first, even though I'd much rather read. Sigh... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores020.gif

Edie 12-29-2009 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy1951
Edie,

It's too bad all of Earlene Fowler's books aren't on audio. Her latter books in the Benni Harper series are much more enjoyable if you've read/heard the first ones.

I found the other quilting series I was thinking of. Terri Thayer is the author and the books are:

Old Maid's Puzzle
Wild Goose Chase
Ocean Waves

I don't think these are as good as some, but Thayer is a long-time quilter and definitely knows the quilting business. One of the reviews of "Old Maid's Puzzle" calls it a "cutting-edge drama deftly sliced to reveal the sass beneath the surface of the quilting business." The main character is Dewey Pelicano, a computer techie who just inherited her recently-deceased mother's quilting store. Her sister-in-law is one of the employees and she most definitely does not like Dewey taking over the store, which is a major part of the storyline. Also, Dewey gets a new boyfriend at the beginning of the first book. He and Dewey have an active sex life and the inclusion of this in the first book evidently offended some readers because there are several negative reviews on Amazon that mention it. :lol: Personally, I don't remember anything very shocking, so I got a chuckle out of those reviews. Jeez, aren't quilters allowed to have sex? Evidently not in quilt cozies! :roll:

I am definitely going to read Nancy E. Turner's books. I was quite impressed by the reviews on Amazon of "These Is My Words." I really want to read it right now, but we're moving this weekend and I've simply GOT to do the packing.
And I have a feeling that once I start reading it I won't be able to put it down. So I'll try to be a good girl and do my chores first, even though I'd much rather read. Sigh... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores020.gif

Be sure to read them in the right order. These is My Words followed by Sarah's Quilt and then The Star Garden. They are all about one family.

I also found another trilogy by Nora Roberts. The Irish Trilogy - "Jewels of the Sun", "Tears of the Moon" and Heart of the Sea". The three titles fit together. The books are done with an Irish brogue (or is that the Scots). Anyhow, one of the characters sounds exactly like Carmel Quinn, if you remember her, if you are old enough. She used to be on Arthur Godfrey's shows, if you remember him, if you are old enough.

Thank you very much for the titles of the books. I hope your move is uneventful, all your dishes are unbroken and no scratches in your furniture and no snow. Edie

Skeat 12-29-2009 04:48 AM

You would love the 3 book series from Sally Goldenbaum starting w/'Murder on Elderberry Road'...you can find these on kc pickledish...great reads!!:)
Thanks for the other book recommend.! I am so going to the library today:)

craftiladi 03-09-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Monica Ferris has a series (at least 12) of books that follow the owner of a shop called Crewel World in her amateur detective pursuits. I love the titles: Crewel Yule, Knitting Bones, Thai Die, Sins and Needles, Embroidered Truths, Sew Far So Good. Most if not all can be found on audio.

Emilie Richards also has a series that all have quilts in starring roles in them, most have pattern books, and most, if not all, are on audio. Titles include: Lover’s Knot, Sister’s Choice, Touching Stars, Endless Chain.

Debbie Macomber has a series where knitting is the center of attention. All are available on audio. Titles include: A Good Yarn, Summer on Blossom Street, Back on Blossom Street.

These are also quilt focused novels:
Leaving Riverton (The Novel) by Jodi Barrows (pattern book available) (cannot find the novel on audio)
Bachelor’s Puzzle by Judith Pella (audio available)
A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick (cannot find on audio)

There are several other novels that focus on needlecrafts other than quilting if you are interested (I can list more if you are). The best site to find out if a book is available on audio is this one.
http://www.audioeditions.com/search-...&submit=Search

Just wanted to say thanks so much for sharing this information...I am just coming to the end of Jennifer Chiaverini Books , can't wait for her to come out w/ a new on. I am totally addicted to these type of books. I have pretty much read all of Debbie Macomber. But you listed authors I didn't know about..so thank-you from a avid reader.
dee