Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting suggestions needed for my boot block, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-suggestions-needed-my-boot-block-please-t22518.html)

Quiltgranny 07-08-2009 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to machine quilt a quilt for my dear hubby that I've titled "Happy Trails" as it has a Roy Rogers theme and fabric to it. My DH designed this boot block to his liking, but now I'm stumped as to how I might machine quilt around it. Of course, I want his handiwork to shine, and I cannot FMQ yet, so I am a bit limited on quilting choices. Any thoughts would surely be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Dave's "boot block"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40250[/ATTACH]

Harmony 07-08-2009 09:18 AM

How about just big loops going different ways, kind of like rope? Do you understand what I mean?

AtHomeSewing 07-08-2009 09:24 AM

My friend collects cowboy boots. Some of them have incredible stitching designs. If you do a Google Image search for "fancy cowboy boots" there will be plenty of photos of examples.

Cathe 07-08-2009 09:38 AM

I agree - if it's hand appliqued, I would use a contrasting thread and do some fancy stitching like you find on boots. If it's fused, I would just stipple around it.

beachlady 07-08-2009 11:08 AM

No suggestion about quilting- but want you to know that it is a great boot!

Quiltgranny 07-08-2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Harmony
How about just big loops going different ways, kind of like rope? Do you understand what I mean?

Hi Harmony,

Yes, I do understand, thanks. Could something like that be accomplished with a walking foot, tho?

Quiltgranny 07-08-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
My friend collects cowboy boots. Some of them have incredible stitching designs. If you do a Google Image search for "fancy cowboy boots" there will be plenty of photos of examples.

Gosh thanks! I would've never thought of that idea. I'll go looking and see what I can see.

Quiltgranny 07-08-2009 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cathe
I agree - if it's hand appliqued, I would use a contrasting thread and do some fancy stitching like you find on boots. If it's fused, I would just stipple around it.

Hi Cathe,

It is fused, then machine appliqued. I do believe stippling is out of the question tho, since I do not know how to free motion quilt and I do have a bit of a time line in order to enter it in our community quilt show this summer. Thanks so much.

Quiltgranny 07-08-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
No suggestion about quilting- but want you to know that it is a great boot!

Hi beachlady,

Well thank you very much! I'll let DH know you said that. He didn't care for the original boot pattern, as he wanted something more like his own real boot. He made the templates for it, picked out the fabs, I did the construction and sewing of it. It was truly a team effort! :D

MsSage 07-08-2009 12:41 PM

AWESOME Boot
great team work