Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Survey. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-survey-t14082.html)

pawquilts 12-03-2008 03:53 PM

1. What is your name and where are you from?
Pat from NYS

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt?
A group of quilters used to meet in my local library. They inspired me over 20yrs. ago.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc)
I love the creativity of the art form. It allows me to express myself.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? Yes.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition?
Yes. Years ago piecing and quilting was done by hand. Today, machines and cutting tools (other than scissors) make it a fast-paced art form. Projects get completed quicker, but I feel the real art and creativity of the hand stitching is lost.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities?
Before my current job, I used to be a membe of a local guild. Presently I am affiliate with on-line groups.
7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why?
No. None of my ancestors were quilters, although there were a few seamstresses.
8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it?
I am very relaxed and removed from troubles that may surround me whenever I am working on a quilt project. Just the feel of the fabric puts me at ease, especially in a fabric store.
9. What different type of quilts have you made? Bed quilts, table toppers and runners, place mats, hot pads. What was the most difficult, easiest? The most difficult is working with curves; the easiest is using squares in blocks for a pattern. Do you have a favourite style? I would say I am a traditional quilter.

10. Who do you make quilts for? gifts for others

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I rip the seams apart or remove stitching and start again.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The final project.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The love and time that went into making it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? No. It's just a different art form. If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? No.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? Yes, it reminds me of the underground railroad. If so, what do you know about its history? Early American history.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? It is a lovely art form that can tell a story about your life.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? Quilting is not in my family. I am the "first".

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I can recall 2 very special quilts I made for my two sons upon their highschool graduation. One was the Irish Chain pattern using the school colors of the college son #1 was going to attend. The other was called "Chocolate Chip Cookie Quilt" using the colors of a chocolate chip cookie, my other son's favorite cookie.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? I was recently inspired by a display of quilts made during World War II. All made by hand in the bold colors of red/white/blue. I'm sure they have been washed many times over the years yet none of the colors ran! I am currently making a new bed quilt using those same colors.

cynde 12-03-2008 04:15 PM

1. What is your name and where are you from? Cynde from BC, Canada

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? About 10 years ago a good friend taught me, so she would have someone to shop, quilt and go to guild meetings with.

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) Gotta sew, gotta quilt.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? My children

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? The only difference is I've now got this on-line board/guild.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? Here, used to belong to a guild that held monthly meetings, but my life got too busy.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Grandmother and Mother quilt

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? Creative expression, satisfaction, joy when giving them to appreciative recipients.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?

10. Who do you make quilts for? Friends/Family - people that are quilt worthy

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? Unsew/resew

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? Not sure what you mean by this. I like the colours

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? A guilt is a piece of art/heirloom.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? Don't know.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I enjoy hearing about it.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting?

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Has been social, but now is a solitary activity

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? It's not important for me to carry on the tradition, but I know my Grandmother was very happy I was.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. Quilts my Grandmother made for me/my kids

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? I was very happy to be able to make a quilt for my Grandmother to enjoy in her final days, with blocks that she had created but not gotten around to doing anything with. I also have a quilt that I made out of old T towels that my Great Grandmother had embroidered from flour sacks. That is a true treasure.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Yes

Catherine 12-03-2008 04:20 PM

Catherine, Kentucky

Probably from my grandmother..she taught me how to sew, I had a natural talent in sewing and after owning a Alterations Custom sewing shop for 12 years I taught myself to Quilt when I closed it and ventured into another business.

It is art. To express yourself through fabric is very rewarding. Quilting has many rewards. Looking and touching one makes you feel good inside, almost like you've come home. Family and friends love to get your creations, they get all sunshinny inside....quilting has honor.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? no, but I will one day.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition?
yes! I feel great about it...see I love the applique look and have been teaching myself this.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? once I was but they did not fulfill my need.

not really.well..my great great Aunts owned an Alteration shop in downtown Lexington, Ky. but I have not heard if they quilted. My mother and sister have several in their homes.

I'm sure I answered that in #3. It's like being an artist. You can't help yourself. You need to do it. I enjoy the beauty of every step in making a quilt!

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style?
Not a wide range of types..yet. mostly I love simple, applique and the two favorites...the soft old fashion florals and the bright cheery fabrics used mostly for children. I have only made 3 full size , but mostly like the smaller..lap and baby quilts cause I can't wait to get to the next project, my attention span is short! ha

10. Who do you make quilts for? family and friends

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? do it over..but then it does all depend on the mistake. There are ways to hide one!!

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? the story it tells.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you?
the word Quilt..should say it all...doesn't it sound special?!!

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? It seems to me that it has gained value. Perhaps maybe it is the demand.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
It does mean alot. I know probably about what most people know. What we have read. You know my Mother has repeatingly said that when she dies she wants to be wraped in the quilt her homemakers made. Now can you say that about a "blanket?" that alone speaks volumes! Did I even answer this question? ha Must be stuck on #13

reflect on 1 - 15. I really know very little ..but thanks for asking. I'm getting a little silly now!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone...one day I'd love to have company.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?
I am the tradition...ha I have a large family and it is only me who quilts & sews.....I have one young niece that could be following in my footsteps. She has become very precious to me. I just bought her a sewing machine.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.
No..isn't that sad?

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? no thank you...not yet

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? yes, as long as you correct my grammer! :D

Dawn Hendrix 12-03-2008 04:53 PM

1. What is your name and where are you from? Dawn Hendrix from Virginia .. living in Georgia

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I took a class in Hawaii and was HOOKED

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I quilt so I can make things for people who apperciate them.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I have taught 3 other people

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? differences .. I would say no.. but differences in me I would say YES

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? I went to 1 guild meeting and joined and have never gone back. I LOVE this board so they are my buddies and group!

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Yes.. I am makeing something from a bag of fabric that will be cherished and loved for years and years. And hopefully anyone who sees it will see how much love I put into it!

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? I am so proud to quilt and show my work! It relaxes me and allows me to create FABULOUS things to keep people warm!

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? oo I have made a celtic knot to a simple baby quilt. The Celtic knot was the biggest challenge but it taught me I can do anything I put my mind to.

10. Who do you make quilts for? All my friends and family... plus those special people who see my work and commission me to do something for them!

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? oo I get upset with MYSELF.. I walk away... breathe and a few hours later come back and try try try again! then if it still doens't work well it goes to the bottom of the pile for a bit so I can focus on something else.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? the creative process, choosing colors and fabrics

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? A quilt is LOVE all wrapped around you, it is something choosen exactly for you.. no-one has one like it...

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I never did it any other way so this is all I know the now of it.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I like to see all the thinkgs made by our ancestors and I am in complete awe of them

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Just that is is a SUPER outlet to let you be yourself and let it SHINE through!

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? O am by myself most of the time.. I have people I haev taught that pop in every once and awhile

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I am the 1st quilter that we know of.. I am proud to BEGIN this tradition for my family!

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. none

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?
not a one.. but my kids sure will!

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Feel free.. hope you get a good grade!

Quilter101 12-04-2008 05:35 AM

1. What is your name and where are you from? Emily from OR
2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? I am still teaching myself, am joining a group

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I wanted a craft that was fun, challenging and worth it.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No. I just started.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? No difference, aside I've learned a lot more.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? This board, and am joining a group in a few weeks.

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? My grandmother, Great grandmother, and great great grandmother all quilted. My mother does not.

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? It is a lot of fun, makes me think, and is very rewarding

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I have only made one quilt, which was 12 inch blocks of blue fabric. I am working on a another one that is more difficult.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Myself, and family. Charity as well, in the future.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I growl at the mistake, and leave the sewing room for a few minutes and calm down.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? The color, the expression of the person that made it. And the pattern.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? It is made with love. It just has a better feel to it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? I feel like it is better then it ever was, aside from we do not use scraps as much as we should.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? The history is very intresting to me and I know some from what I have read on the internet.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Time and practice works.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? I quilt alone at this point, but am joining a group soon.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I feel connected to my relatives that have passed on, and yes I do feel like I am carrying on a tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I have a lot of quilts my ancestors have made and I do have the memory of a blue quilt I fell in love with. I did not know anything about patterns then, and all I remember is the border.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? Not really. I've only been quilting since July.

Chele 12-04-2008 06:01 AM

Michele from Orlando, Florida

I started playing around almost two years ago.

It's a great creative outlet and learning process.

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? No.

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? I am self taught, so the process of learning new techniques is a nice transition.

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? The Quilting Board

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? Yes. My great grandmothers quilted.

I love figuring out a pattern, making progress on a project, and the excitement of starting something new.

I've dabbled in patchwork and applique. I find the actual quilting process difficult. My favorite quilts are scrappy quilts.

10. Who do you make quilts for? Family and friends.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? Seam ripper or trash can.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? Color.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The work that went into making it.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
I think contemporary quilting has gained in value. More people appreciate it as an art form.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history?
I love reading anything about the history of quilts. Quilting has a vast and interesting history.

It's addictive.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Alone time, although group quilting interests me.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I think my great grandmothers would get a kick out of me quilting! I'm sure they thought the craft was dead before they died.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. I have quilts that have been in my family for years. It's interesting to imagine where the fabrics came from and how they were put together.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? No.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? Sure! Good luck with your project.

pocoellie 12-04-2008 06:16 AM

Carmen from CA
joined a small group that donated to local shelters, etc.,about 8 years ago, in CA
love to sew
4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt?
yes
no
no
my mom did a little, but not much since she worked
excited-love to see the pattern and fabrics work
9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? usually just lap size, tied, and donated. They are the easiest, bigger are harder to machine quilt.

10. Who do you make quilts for? charity, family

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? depends on the mistake, if not too obvious I don't worry about it.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? don't have one

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? it's personal, it's one of a kind.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why?
don't know
just a little
no
17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both?
alone
18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you?
hope to teach granddaughter some day
19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share.
no
20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share?
no

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? yes

Overlander 12-04-2008 06:24 AM

1. What is your name and where are you from? Barb from Williams Lake, BC

2. How, when, and where did you learn to quilt? 6 years ago - took a beginners class

3. Why do you quilt? (tradition, expression, for family, etc) I love the color & feel of material and it was a new way for me to put it together to express myself

4. Have you taught anyone else to quilt? I've given a demonstration of English Paper Piecing at our local quilt guild

5. Are there differences in quilting from when you first learned and now? If so, how do you feel about this transition? Maybe not differences since I consider myself a rank beginner still. But, many new techniques to learn

6. Are you part of any quilting groups/communities? Yes, Williams Lake Piecemaker's Guild

7. Do you feel that quilting is a part of your heritage? If so why? No, my mother didn't quilt and I didn't know my grandparents

8. What type of feeling do you get out of quilting? Why do you enjoy it? The tactile feel of the material and ranges of colors we can use now are wonderful. After I finish a quilt and give it away I feel wonderful.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favourite style? I don't have a favourite yet, but have made rag quilts (easiest), traditional block, stip quilting, bargello (most difficult), English Paper Piecing (most relaxing) and mystery quilt.

10. Who do you make quilts for? My family & friends and with the guild Emergency Services

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? I just unpick it and redo if I notice in time. If not it stays

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? There isn't one feature, it is a combination of color, texture and quilting

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? The way the are made, not mass produced, but by hand or personal machine.

14. Do you feel that contemporary quilting has lost some value? If so, why? Or do you feel it has gained value, and again, why? No, quilts are still made with love and the people who make them may be stretching their imaginations with new ways of doing this art, but it is still something made by someone for someone.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I've only read a bit about early quiltmaking and am always interested in more.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? Not really, just enjoy what you are doing - and finally keep one for yourself.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? Quilting is both for me, I quilt alone at home, but also in a group with my fellow guild members and at a local store with other ladies and men.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I am hoping I am starting a tradition.

19. Do you have any memories of others quilting? Do you have memories of specific quilts in your past? If so, please feel free to share. No memories of any type of quilting.

20. Last but not least, do you have any stories or memories about quilting you would like to share? No - sorry, still too new at this.

zyxquilts 12-04-2008 08:33 AM

Sue, from Walnut, CA

In about 1992, I started taking a quilt making class in an Adult Ed class in Hacienda Heights, CA (& I'm still attending the same class!)

Because I can :wink: :!: I love the color & geometry of it & the artistry.

Yes. I taught my cousin to quilt, and I have also taught a workshop for my quilt guild.

I'm sure there are many differences from when I first started! I'm seeing more art quilts & mixed media quilts too. Keep 'em coming! The changes keep it from becoming stale.

Yes, I belong to TLC Quilters, a guild in Covina, CA. I'm a past treasurer & current member of the Southern California Council of Quilt Guilds (SCCQG) & a member of this message board - otherwise known as the "Everyone's Welcome" guild!

Yes, because my great grandmother was a quilter.

It's a way to express my creativity.

I've made many different types of quilts from pieced to machine appliqued to art quilts. For me, applique is the hardest and the one 'Storm at Sea' block I made was one of the most frustrating. I tend to prefer piecing.

10. Who do you make quilts for?
Family & philanthropy

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake?
Anything can happen! Sometimes the seam ripper becomes involved, other times it requires another trip to the fabric store, and still other times it becomes an artistic choice!

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt?
Hmmm...the color & the heart involved with it.

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you?
By definition, a quilt is 3 layers - batting, backing & the top; in reality there is a 4th layer - love.

I feel that all quilts have value, it just depends on who is looking at it.

History was always one of my worst subjects.

See question #13.

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both?
I quilt alone & with friends & in a class.

I don't know that I am carrying on a tradition, but it is in my family.

The first quilt I designed & actually completed is a flying geese row quilt. It's still one of my favorites. It was only supposed to be a wall hanging, but when I began cutting & sewing the geese, I realized it was at least twice as big as I thought it would be! lol

One of the best thing about quilting is QUILTERS. Over & over again I have seen how giving & caring quilters are. Several years ago, after the wild fires in Southern California, not only did the SCCQG membership vote to give some financial assistance to 7 quilters who lost their homes in the fires, they also donated fabric & tools! How awesome is that? I see the same kind of kindness over & over again here on the quilting message board too. I am very proud to be a quilter.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project?

yes

redrummy 12-04-2008 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by pompeii
If anyone would like to provide me with some information, feel free to email your responses or private message me or answer me in this board.

Deb, Born in Michigan, moved to Ohio as a child, raised in a small town.

I grew up sewing, watching mom, mom passing on tips, she made our clothes, I sewed the scraps together to make things.
I started to make my kids blankets, being thrifty due to economic needs, used what I had to make keepsakes.

daughter and daughter in law

just this great group.

yes,, sewing is more so tho, both mom and grandma made clothes

yes, very much pleasure. I enjoy puzzles, and feel quilting is a hands on puzzles.

9. What different type of quilts have you made? denim, baby blankets, irish chain, photo memory quilts. What was the most difficult, easiest? Do you have a favorite style? 9 patch

10. Who do you make quilts for? family first, friends, now for sale.

11. When quilting, what happens if you make a mistake? depending on the mistake. Severe, I use my seam ripper. mild, I may incorporate it in to the quilt. If already sewn together, and handquilting, and not to bad, I may ignore it.

12. What is your favourite feature about a quilt? handquilting

13. What makes a quilt different from other blankets to you? the tender care I know went into making it makes it special.

15. Does the history of quilting mean anything to you? If so, what do you know about its history? I enjoy reading about it, learning the reasons, or the whys things were done.

16. Do you have anything you would like others to know about quilting? just the time involved, so they would take care of them

17. Do you quilt alone, or together in a group? Is quilting a social event or a chance for some alone time for you? Or both? alone.

18. If quilting is in your family, do you feel you are carrying on a tradition? If so, why is this important to you? I do it for my enjoyment. I do not think my kids will.

A question regarding your consent: Is it alright if I use your responses in a informal class project? yes, hope it helps

That's all. Thank you all so much!

Jenny.