Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting Tack kits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-tack-kits-t23800.html)

Gennynut 08-05-2009 10:25 PM

Hi Iam new to this fourm and fairly new to quilting. I do it with a group of ladies at my church. We have the old style wooden quilting frames. Has anyone used the Tack kits? Thses kits contain a magnetic tack pusher for placing the tacks and to prenet "tack dents" in your thumb, also tack remover to prevent wreaking your nails, and a small amount of large haeaded tacks. I've seen these kits on e-bay etc and Iam wondering if they are useful, worth the money etc.

SulaBug 08-05-2009 10:28 PM

Hello there & welcome to the
quilting board, from the state
of Washington!! :D I don't have
an answer for you question,
but I sm sure you will find out
very soon!!
:D :D :D :D :D

Lacelady 08-06-2009 05:25 AM

Sorry, I can't help with your question either, but a bit welcome to the board from Ireland. I hope someone else pops by and can help you.

littlehud 08-06-2009 05:44 PM

Welcome to the board. I have never heard of tack kits but they sound interesting.

Prism99 08-06-2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gennynut
Hi Iam new to this fourm and fairly new to quilting. I do it with a group of ladies at my church. We have the old style wooden quilting frames. Has anyone used the Tack kits? Thses kits contain a magnetic tack pusher for placing the tacks and to prenet "tack dents" in your thumb, also tack remover to prevent wreaking your nails, and a small amount of large haeaded tacks. I've seen these kits on e-bay etc and Iam wondering if they are useful, worth the money etc.

I'm not sure which type of old wooden frame you have. I have a set of 2x4's that I have clamped together to create a wooden frame. I tacked permanent fabric leaders to these wood pieces so I could pin my quilt to the leaders. Regular tacks worked fine -- I just hammered them in place. Is your frame such that you cannot attach permanent leaders? I never even considered tacking every quilt directly to the wood.

Ninnie 08-06-2009 06:37 PM

most frames have permament fabric stapled to the wood, and you just pin your quilt to the fabric. I have never heard of using tacks. Sorry

Shemjo 08-06-2009 06:43 PM

Haven't tried these. We use big thumb tack direct on our boards.

Gennynut 08-06-2009 08:07 PM

What kind of pernament fabric do you use for leaders? Do you just use regular pins to attach? We have always attached right to frame with tacks. it is rather hard on your thumbs ! Sometimes the tacks are very hard to remove, have to use a kitchen knief or something. There are large headed tacks that help with the problem but they are hard to get here. I've found them online in the States but they don't ship to Canada!

Prism99 08-06-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gennynut
What kind of pernament fabric do you use for leaders? Do you just use regular pins to attach? We have always attached right to frame with tacks. it is rather hard on your thumbs ! Sometimes the tacks are very hard to remove, have to use a kitchen knief or something. There are large headed tacks that help with the problem but they are hard to get here. I've found them online in the States but they don't ship to Canada!

I just used regular fabric that I didn't like anymore and doubled it for strength. You could also use pillow ticking fabric (the kind with narrow stripes); it has a heftier weave. You don't want to go too heavy on the fabric choice (canvas) because that would make it hard to pin or thread baste through the leaders. You can always replace leaders if they wear out. I just used long regular straight pins with big heads (to make them easy to find).

Now that I think about it, I think I stapled the leaders to my frame instead of using tacks. Stapling was really fast.

What is your frame like? The only reason I can think of not to tack permanent leaders to a wood frame would be if it is constructed in a way that the leaders would limit the size quilt you could mount. With my four individual pieces, I was just careful about how I positioned the leaders. For example, the side boards would be positioned with the leaders on top while the top and bottom boards (which would be rolled) would be positioned with the leaders on the bottom of the boards. That way, when I unrolled the quilt, the leader was on top for the quilt to be pinned to. (Sorry if that was as clear as mud...... Much easier to do than describe, plus once you do it wrong you realize why you need to unpin and do it this way.)

If your frame is fixed (you don't roll the quilt), I can't think of any reason not to tack leaders to the wood and leave them there.

JudeWill 08-11-2009 12:27 PM

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm pretty new to this also. But welcome aboard!