Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting thread breaking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-thread-breaking-t316399.html)

marylouisebooth 09-18-2021 07:57 AM

Quilting thread breaking

Hi, I have not been here for a few months, after a couple of operations on my spine & back, tring to get back to my quilting.
I have a Kathy Quilts machine, use Glide thread, The thread is breaking. I put new thread & a new needle in. sew a few inches and breads, Any one have this issue? Please help
Mary L Booth

SallyS 09-18-2021 08:15 AM

I use Glide thread on my longarm and it has never been a problem. I would check thread path and be certain bobbin is correctly threaded and inserted. Most often any problem is because thread has come out of hooks or is not inserted well enough on tension discs. Good luck!

Jo Belmont 09-18-2021 08:23 AM

Also, make sure the needle is inserted properly. On my quilting machine the scarf (curved area on needle shaft) got placed in the front instead of the back where it should go. It gave me fits until I discovered what I had done.

My suggestion is that when a problem is ongoing, take all the thread out of the path, drop the needle out of the holder, pull the bobbin, etc. and completely reinstall.

Hope this helps.

mkc 09-18-2021 08:36 AM

Have you checked and set your bobbin tension first and then done some test stitching to dial in the top tension?

selm 09-18-2021 10:16 AM

Check and clean machine - even a small amount of dust can cause problems

cashs_mom 09-18-2021 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont (Post 8508401)
My suggestion is that when a problem is ongoing, take all the thread out of the path, drop the needle out of the holder, pull the bobbin, etc. and completely reinstall.

Hope this helps.

That's what I always do. The only other thing I can suggest is to clean thoroughly and maybe loosen your upper tension a bit. Is this the only thread that you're having a problem with or is it all types of thread?

Lady Diana 09-18-2021 12:12 PM

DO not mess with your tension. Check the thread path, bobbin holder for Knicks and dings, match your needle size to the thread you are using. I always use a 90/14 organ topstitch needle for 40 and 50 wt. Thread.
make sure your tension disc's are clean, I hope you learn what is causing this....I know it's very frustrating.

mkc 09-18-2021 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana (Post 8508439)
DO not mess with your tension. Check the thread path, bobbin holder for Knicks and dings, match your needle size to the thread you are using. I always use a 90/14 organ topstitch needle for 40 and 50 wt. Thread.
make sure your tension disc's are clean, I hope you learn what is causing this....I know it's very frustrating.

Are you talking about on a longarm (not messing with the tension)? OP is asking about a longarm - the Kathy Quilts/Grace Company machines.

Fine tuning tension, bobbin first, then upper thread to match, was one of the first things my longarm instructor and my longarm dealer taught me to do. I check and adjust (if needed) bobbin tension on every bobbin and check top tension with every bobbin or start of a quilting session (if I haven't finished a bobbin from the previous day).

Most longarms use 16 or 18 longarm needles, not smaller topstitch ones. Bernina's Q-series might be the only one that uses domestic needles.

quiltedsunshine 09-18-2021 09:06 PM

Sometimes, it helps to turn the needle slightly to one side or the other. I run my longarm with the needle turned slightly to the right, and it helps a lot.

Good Luck to you!

Lady Diana 09-19-2021 04:56 AM

MCK, thought she was posting about Domestic machine. Sufficiently slapped.