Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting troubles... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-troubles-t1174.html)

middysmom 06-02-2007 10:00 PM

are you doing a rag quilt i am trying to finish one and i am about to go crazy i didnt think the back trough before i started sewing and i dont think it is very pretty on the back side and blue jeans on the front side and it is ok but it is driving me crazy and it is my first one thanks dorothy from tenn

Flying_V_Goddess 06-02-2007 10:07 PM

No, I'm not doing a rag quilt, but maybe I or one of the other ladies can help. What's making your quilt look not-so-pretty?

Catherine 06-03-2007 02:20 AM

Sorry Dorothy that you have having a terrible time with your rag quilt.
blue jean denim is so thick and hard to work with into a quilt, at least for me. they tend to be too heavy as well. tell us more about your frustration
perhaps one of us can help you work through this. You said the back doesn't look good, with denim I'm pretty sure you don't need a filler between the layers. Maybe this is your problem...just let us know, we'll help!

Doris1334 06-28-2007 05:41 AM

I had the same trouble with 3 layers of my quilts not feeding right.
Bought a walking foot to fit my machine and that solved the problem.
Wouldn't be without one of these.

sunflower 07-02-2007 05:26 PM

Can you get an even-feed presser foot for your machine? I have a 1967 Singer and I bought an even feed presser foot for it. I pin the layers together, start from the middle and have no trouble.

DebJ 07-02-2007 07:28 PM

You really need to invest in a walking foot. Try a local sewing machine retailer, they should have one or Nancy's Notions, I know she carries them. They usually run around $25, but are well worth it. I did a denim lap quilt awhile back and I know how difficult they can be. Be sure to have plenty of support going into and out of the machine and have extra needles. I manage to get by only breaking two I think. I might try another one someday but if I do it will be a quilt as you go. Let us know how it all comes out maybe even include pictures. I know your going to succeed! :D

vicki reno 07-03-2007 06:33 PM

When I am sewing rows of blocks together with the sashing, I use the walking foot to make sure that nothing shifts and it hleps keep everything lined up the way it should. Otherwise my rows won't line up and the sahsing won't fall right where it should. Not that it always does anyway, but this helps to make it do right most of the time :!:

Feathers 07-06-2007 07:22 AM

OK, Flying V Goddess: Where's the picture of that prom dress? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like a gander at it. :shock: Sorry, I can't help you with your quilting problem.
Feathers

Betty Ruth 07-06-2007 06:48 PM

Is this a raggedy quilt or a normal one with the seams on the inside? I suspect that it is a raggedy quilt where the seams wind up on the outside of the top.

I believe that the batting you are using might be too heavy for the type of quilt. Since you already have the blocks cut and quilt partly sewed, I agree that the best way to go would be to pick out the machine stitching and just tack the center of the block. If it is a large block, you may need to use more than one tack per block.

Next time, use very thin batting or no batting, complete each block, then, sew them together.

PurplePassion 07-10-2007 07:25 PM

Did you get your quilt done? How did your friend like it? Got any pictures?