Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting TV shows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-tv-shows-t103292.html)

SuzanneG 02-27-2011 05:26 AM

I 've never been bothered by their demeanor, regarding quilt show hosts. They know they're speaking to newbies, intermediates and experienced quilters alike, and like all good teachers, they mainly teach on the level of the least the experienced in the "class room", so I accept this while watching.:wink:

But I do have to say, I just love Eleanor Burns! I know her speaking voice can be taxing for some, but it's very enjoyable to me. She seems like a genuinely happy person, and there seem to be so few of them in this world. :D I find her enjoyable because she just comes across as genuine, kind and upbeat.

Claddaughquilting 02-27-2011 05:27 AM

I only get Fons and Porter and Sewing with Nancy. I really like F&P actually, and have learned a lot from their shows. I too was getting up in the middle of the night to watch them, until I realized that I could pay $20 and watch all their episodes on-line whenever I wanted. Now, I bring my laptop into my sewing room and watch an episode while I work. I am in heaven, and am getting a lot more sleep!

Millstream Mom 02-27-2011 05:40 AM

We don't get any quilting shows - I wish our PBS station still carried them :(

Marge L. 02-27-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Is it just me, or do other people find that some of the Hosts on quilting TV shows sound like they are talking to a kindergarden class? Just because I am female and interested in traditional crafts does not mean my IQ is in the single digits.
I must say most of my viewing was some time ago but I just saw one who shall remain nameless and it was the same thing.
I have also seen Nancy Zeman, she seems to be OK.

Don't laugh, but one of the very famous ones was previously a kindergarten teacher. First time I saw her I had that feeling. Researched her and found this to be true.

catrancher 02-27-2011 05:42 AM

I tried watching Eleanor Burns once and I couldn't stand it. It was worse than Mr. Rogers. Very disappointing since it's the only quilt show in my area.

Longarm 02-27-2011 05:44 AM

I like E. B., I have met her in person at shows and she is a truly outgoing, friendly person. I can't say the same about some other 'big names' I have talked to at shows.

As for F & P, now that it should be renamed Fons & Fons (daughter Mary and not Liz Porter) I won't watch it anymore. I got tired of hearing her interrupt her mother and then start going "uh, uh, uh". As far as I am concerned they can take it off the air. I didn't realize how much L.P. contributed until I saw the newer series without her. It certainly isn't the quality show it was prior to Liz's retirement.

And although Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts was way too fake for me she did have good guests. Too bad HGTV or DIY can't bring back the same type of program with a better host.

redmadder 02-27-2011 05:44 AM

EB used to teach kindergarten! I appreciate her work but can't bear to watch her shows.

feffertim 02-27-2011 05:52 AM

I do miss Porter, but I have to say I enjoy watching mother and daughter, Mary explains things that a newbie might not know and I like her enthusiasm. I always learn something from all the quilting shows and I watch them all.

chrisqlt 02-27-2011 05:59 AM

I didn't like how there seemed to be a trend of starting out with "it's EASY." As if we couldn't handle anything more challenging! Now I can't find quilt tv shows only online things. Recording them if you have some and replaying at your convenience is a good way around odd timeslots.

I believe if they did the market research they would realize what a large audience of quilters would be ready and waiting.

Dodee 02-27-2011 06:10 AM

I'll watch Fons-ie once in awhile, but there's way too much talking in my estimation.