Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting using old clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-using-old-clothes-t196859.html)

My time 08-09-2012 02:29 AM

Not only must you be able to iron the fabric it must be machine washable as well. Forgot to mention that!

Slow2Sew 08-16-2012 01:02 PM

I have found several bed skirts and valances at thrift stores that work well in quilts. Sometimes it is hard to find those in all cotton, but they seldom have any wear, just a little dirt.

sew1 08-16-2012 01:28 PM

I have used bed skirts as well. Needed a teal color and found bedskirt at goodwill for $3.99. Worked great. A plus was I could use the part that goes between the mattress and boxsprings for embroidery squares, so no waste. I use what is available I can afford.

hperttula123 08-16-2012 03:01 PM

There is no right or wrong way to quilts. You can use anything you want in them. I made t-shirt quilts before and put fleece on the back.

stenthpatric 09-06-2012 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5422667)
My daughter's favorite quilt is one I made from corduroy from pants of mine when I was a kid. It is heavy and warm and backed with flannel. I'm currently working on a quilt made from my dad's old pendleton wool shirts. Well, then there are the T-shirt quilts, blue jean quilts. My grandmother used to make quilt from wool scraps and old wool suits.[ATTACH=CONFIG]354023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]354024[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]354025[/ATTACH]My cousin's neice made a quilt from squares cut from her grandfather's shirts to give to her grandmother. She was 10 at the time. It was very sweet and comforting for her grandmother in the nursing home to have something to remember her husband after he'd passed away. Sunbonnet Sue and Sam were made from old blue jeans and scraps from my stash.

I like this to make these types of Quilt using old clothes. I have seen your Quilt and I also try to make this quilt like your quilt. Thanks for given awesome idea to make beautiful quilt.

Tashana 09-06-2012 04:01 AM

If you go far back you will find that original quilt were all made from clothing that cannot be used any more. The beauty of those quilts is stunning. For batting you can use old thin blanket or if you are like me you will wait for that 50% cupon at AC Moore and buy it then. I keep all my batting leftovers and put them together for smaller projects. Also, Walmart clearance bin has $2 fabric which is cheaper than buying a second hand shirt. Browse craiglist, sometimes people give fabric away for free. Good luck! I went through 4 years of civil war and we had to make due. We made coats out of blankets and clothes from drapes.

TanyaL 09-06-2012 04:43 AM

Ellageo, that is the most attractive quilt that I have ever seen made from men's shirts. You should be justifiably proud. What a fantastic, great job! Would love to see more of your quilts.

quilter1 09-06-2012 04:53 AM

I used to give my husband's shirts to Goodwill until recently. It occurred to me that there is a lot of good cotton fabric in a man's shirt. They are available quite inexpensively at thrift shops.

Lara122 09-06-2012 05:26 AM

I have been collecting leather from goodwill for quite a while. no concrete plan, but . . . . someday, right? ;)

Normabeth 09-06-2012 05:52 AM

Do you like making scrappy quilts? I have lot of scraps that I can give you. PM
NormaBeth