Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting while on vacation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-while-vacation-t61579.html)

Boscobd 08-26-2010 08:46 PM

My DH and I are going to be visiting my parents for the week after Labor Day. They live in Sheridan WY and there's not a whole lot to do there after checking out the local shops and playing a round or 2 of golf.
Then it dawned on me - take a quilting project to work on! My Mom has a sewing machine set up in her computer room (she doesn't sew much any more, but keeps it available just in case).
So, rather than sitting up in the kitchen around the table gabbing, we can sit in the computer room and I can stitch away while we get caught up! Tonite I "kitted up" a baby quilt that will use a fairly simple pattern so I don't have to concentrate totally while sewing and gabbing and am ready to go! WooHoo - I've never had a "quilting" vacation before! :-D

np3 08-26-2010 08:54 PM

I do that as well. I love doing it. If I'm driving, I take my own machine too.

Boscobd 08-26-2010 09:29 PM

We're driving, but I think I'll use Mom's machine. It's in a nice cabinet all set up and ready for use. I've used it in the past for general sewing so it's not totally foreign to me. She has pins, needles, thread and all that good stuff as well, so I'm looking at it as a slam dunk way to get some sewing in without having to haul all my stuff with me!
Besides, my dad is a major gardener and I'm sure our car will be full of veggies on the way home!!

np3 08-26-2010 09:31 PM

Well veggies are good too!

Boscobd 08-26-2010 09:38 PM

That's for sure! I cherish those homegrown veggies that we bring home every couple of years we visit them - especially since my DH and I moved to AZ from Upstate NY where I had a nice big veggie garden of my own. I love living in AZ, but there's just not a lot of veggie gardening one can do here.
HaHa - that's why I took up quilting; real gardening wasn't an option!! I miss the gardening, but I LOVE quilting! Guess it all works out in the end.

Gerbie 08-27-2010 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
My DH and I are going to be visiting my parents for the week after Labor Day. They live in Sheridan WY and there's not a whole lot to do there after checking out the local shops and playing a round or 2 of golf.
Then it dawned on me - take a quilting project to work on! My Mom has a sewing machine set up in her computer room (she doesn't sew much any more, but keeps it available just in case).
So, rather than sitting up in the kitchen around the table gabbing, we can sit in the computer room and I can stitch away while we get caught up! Tonite I "kitted up" a baby quilt that will use a fairly simple pattern so I don't have to concentrate totally while sewing and gabbing and am ready to go! WooHoo - I've never had a "quilting" vacation before! :-D

Sounds like a real winner, and fun too. I almost always take my black bag of hand sewing or cross stitching with me in the car when we go out of town for whatever. To shop or go to the Dr. we have to go out of town to do so. I sometimes get a lot of stitching done, and sometimes none, but I have it with me just in case. I really like the idea of making up a quilt kit for the trip, and you're right you might as well be doing something constructive while visiting. If your mom quilts or even if she doesn't if you have a small project that needs to be cut out, perhaps she can do that for you while you are sewing up the other one. She might really enjoy that too. Have fun quilting and gabbing. Want to see pics of finished product when you get back.

SueDor 08-27-2010 01:29 AM

Have fun with your parents.

lindyline 08-27-2010 01:59 AM

Great plan. I always take my machine when I visit my dad, 800km away, and if DH is driving take some handstitching as well.Step mum has a machine, but I like mine better.
Would like to see pics when you're back.

MamaBear61 08-27-2010 05:00 AM

Your vacation plan sounds "PERFECT". Have fun.

dakotamaid 08-27-2010 05:01 AM

That can be so much fun. I'm fortunate to have quilters on both sides of the family so I always go prepared! I am closest to my MIL and SIL and we always have a project going of some sort. If nothing else charity baby quilts. One weekend I bound 14 baby quilts for project linus. (No one else likes to do binding!)