Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-houston-area-flood-victims-t290796.html)

sushi 08-28-2017 04:21 PM

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Anyone know how best to donate a quilt to a victim of the Houston area's flooding? I realize that folks there are still in crisis mode, but soon enough they'll be returning to their homes. Some will find they've lost a lot.

I'm about to finish a cheerful queen-size quilt. I'd love to send it to someone who would appreciate it.

For all those QB members who live in the affected area, I pray that you and your loved ones are safe! When you are able, please let us know how this quilting community might help you - especially if it involves sending you quilts or quilting supplies.:o

Maureen NJ 08-28-2017 04:52 PM

For all those QB members who live in the affected area, I pray that you and your loved ones are safe! When you are able, please let us know how this quilting community might help you - especially if it involves sending you quilts or quilting supplies.:o

i agree. I feel so badly for the people in those areas. Please let us know how we can help.

Prism99 08-28-2017 05:08 PM

This thread has a good article about helping:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/genera...s-t290795.html

paoberle 08-30-2017 02:23 AM

You thoughts are in the right place, however, a donation to the Red Cross would go much further to helping people at this time.

Tiggersmom 08-30-2017 02:46 AM

From what I know money donations go the farthest through the Salvation Army.
I would do a search of quilt guilds in the areas you are interested in and send a letter either by email or post as to their availability to receive quilts or other quilted items.
The guild I was a member of sent a huge package to our "sister" guild a few months after a terrific loss in their area which included a sewing machine and books , supplies etc. We received a wonderful thank you with pictures. The ladies were smiling ear to ear .

Lady Diana 08-30-2017 03:02 AM

We sometimes believe a quilt is the answer because we are quilters.....Houston is hot and very humid most of the time.....the folks in houston need other things right now. The salvation army is the way to go as far as donations...the red cross could not guarantee a donor's funds would go specifically to Harvey victims when asked last week......
Do not give to Goodwill in the flood areas. IT IS NOT A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION. Goodwill is a business. They do not donate. They are not a charity. They are a for profit company owned by the man who started the business decades ago. He is very wealthy. Great name...but it his goodwill.
Donating to quilt guilds is a great idea. Sewing machines, supplies for sewing etc.
Victims will need clothing. That is the one thing that gets left behind to the flood waters.

illinois 08-30-2017 03:33 AM

It's a generous thing to want to send quilts to TX but they are announcing the need for funds rather than "things" right now. A quilt will not provide for fuel for the helicopters that are rescuing people. Red Cross and Salvation Army have supplies and are right there but need money to provide what is needed. Besides, how would you even get things into those areas right now? Roads are flooded and even the airports are closed. Sending things would only provide more confusion. Do be sure to donate to reputable organizations such as Red Cross and Salvation Army. In our area HyVee (food stores) is sponsoring a matching funds project to benefit people in TX. I assume this will also go into LA as the storm is going to impact all of the Gulf Coast. Unfortunately there are people who will operate scams in this disaster, taking advantage of the mess and those who want to help. Be careful with your generosity!

Krystyna 08-30-2017 05:53 AM

For those of you who are saying to donate to the Red Cross or something else, here is my two cents as a Superstorm Sandy survivor. First of all, quilters quilt. It's what we do. I will never ever forget the kindness and generosity of the women on this board, particularly the Doll Quilt Swap group. They were amazing. The quilts I received made from their blocks were such an amazing comfort and I use them every single day. They also sent quilts to me to distribute to those who needed the hug of a warm quilt, and let me tell you, every single one brought tears to the eyes of survivors. A friend I made on this board -- Nancy in Louisiana -- lives in Lake Charles, LA and also Houston, TX. When I spoke with her yesterday -- she was still dry but had lost power. I don't know if she's still dry or not in either location. Once she has settled a bit I will organize a quilt collection so she can deliver them to those in need. Nancy is a long armer, but I don't know if she will be up to doing tops or if her home in LA is dry at this time. We had planned to finally meet at the quilt show in Houston this October, but I suspect that won't be happening. Instead, I will plan to fly down at some point -- to be determined by Nancy -- to deliver quilts. Stay tuned.

nativetexan 08-30-2017 06:13 AM

I've been in Goodwill stores and they have extremely low prices on new items they must get straight from big stores. at present I give to them because they are near me. i'm not near anything much. but quilts can wait a bit. thanks though.

Onebyone 08-30-2017 06:14 AM

Sorry but the Red Cross isn't all that great. When Sandy hit, my friends in it said Red Cross wasn't any help at all, Salvation Army was the big help, giving out water, having meals, donating needed right then items like gloves, first aid kits, hats, sunscreen to those that were trying to clean up salvage their homes. She didn't see Red Cross doing any of that or even coming out to the people. You had to go to them.